Time shift problem

Hello. I’m trying to cut and paste a clip from a track to another part of the same track. When I do this sometimes the pasting isn’t quite in time with the rest of the track so I thought I could use the time shift tool to nudge the selected clip back and forth a little. However the whole track is moving along the timeline not just the selected clip. Have I got the wrong idea here or do I just need to open another track and paste the selection here before combining everything?

Please always tell us your version of Audacity - all three numbers, please see the pink panel at the top of the page.

Make sure Snap To is not enabled by accident (in Selection Toolbar at the bottom). If it is enabled, then your placing the editing cursor and hence your paste will snap to the time units shown in that toolbar.

Pasting a selection somewhere else in the same continuous audio does not in itself make a clip that is separate from the rest of the track. You can use Ctrl + I (eye) to split a selection into a clip. See Audio Clips - Audacity Manual. However you can’t drag a clip in the same track if there is nowhere for it to move. I don’t think pasting in a new track will help, unless you actually want sounds to overlap.

Also see our documentation for Time Shift Tool:http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/time_shifting.html.

If you need more help I suggest you post a screenshot of the problem so we can see what you are trying to do more clearly. Please see how to attach files to forum posts.

Gale

Hi there. Thanks for replying. I toyed around for a couple of hours and found that yes, if I create new a track and move the clip around in that and then align it to where I want in the original track, then silence that part, I can achieve what I set out to do. Maybe a bit long winded but I got there in the end! Oh yes, I am using the latest version 2.1.3.

regards