Error: reference to invalid character number at line 6

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.

• Please state which version of Windows you are using, the exact three-section version of Audacity from "Help menu > About Audacity".

• Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
    The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

Re: Error: reference to invalid character number at line 6

Permanent link to this post Posted by Seaniboi » Mon May 01, 2017 5:57 pm

You guys are making this way more difficult then it is. I already fixed the issue thanks for nothing lmao
Seaniboi

Operating System: Windows 7

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Tue May 02, 2017 1:43 am

I already fixed the issue

How? This is a forum, not a help desk. If you know more about the problem than we do, you're supposed to share.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Permanent link to this post Posted by Seaniboi » Tue May 02, 2017 10:22 am

All I did was follow the FAQ. The FAQ gave me more help then you lmao. Its under Error invalid token
Seaniboi

Operating System: Windows 7

Permanent link to this post Posted by waxcylinder » Tue May 02, 2017 12:06 pm

Seaniboi wrote:All I did was follow the FAQ. The FAQ gave me more help then you lmao. Its under Error invalid token

That's why we take the time and trouble to write and maintain the FAQs (and the rest of the Manual) - and by-and-large it's the same group of volunteers that "staff" this Forum and write the documentation.

Good to hear theat the FAQ had necessary and sufficient information for you 8-)

WC
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * FAQ * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Audacity Manual * * * * * Audacity Wiki * * * * *
waxcylinder
Forum Staff

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Tue May 02, 2017 12:08 pm

Actually, we knew perfectly well how to fix it all along, thanks. Depending what you did, be aware you have now violated (or potentially violated) the free licence of the file. If we had helped you, BeatsbySeismic could have come after us for aiding and abetting licence violation.

Gale
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Tue May 02, 2017 1:39 pm

Additional information that has come to light since the initial posts in this topic, which I hope will clear up any misunderstanding:

Seaniboi wrote:I got it straight from YouTube through anything2mp3 download. I can safely assure you nothing is being violated

Downloading via anything2mp3 does not guarantee that nothing is being violates. They note in their FAQ:
The general consensus is that streaming web radio sites like Soundcloud are legal to rip from for personal use. Nobody has ever been tried in court for this matter. However you may need to check in certain parts of the world with more restrictive laws. It is impossible for sites and application like Soundcloud to know that you are doing this, however ripping music does go against Soundcloud’s terms of use. If you were to publicly announce that you were doing it in some way then they would have every right to ban you.

In this particular case, the metadata embedded in the media appeared to be very clear (emphasis mine):
This beat is available as a free download for writing and auditioning purposes only
For untagged and/or any profitable use, please purchase a license

However, I have since found that text on their YouTube channel is more permissive:
Q: Can I use this for free?
A: If the beat ONLY has [FREE] in the title, you may use it for non-profit usage only. If you plan to make any type of money from performances, iTunes, YouTube video, or any other way, please purchase a lease from BeatsBySeismic.net.

In hindsight, if we been aware of the less strict usage terms as described on their YouTube channel I think we could have offered more help to you Seaniboi, but I trust that you appreciate that we need to be cautious regarding copyright and cannot leave ourselves vulnerable to legal claims in relation to license violations.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Tue May 02, 2017 2:39 pm

I think "untagged" and for "writing and auditioning only" are likely to be extra terms over and above what is stated on the YouTube page, given they are embedded in the file itself.

In any case, note that Seaniboy did not download from the link given on the YouTube that page that said not for profit usage was OK.

I think the real issue is how much of the metadata could be removed without violating the licence, and only BeatsbySeismic can answer that.

Gale
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Permanent link to this post Posted by TrillDill » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:36 pm

Im having the same problem can someone please help me out
Attachments
you better move.aup
(73.57 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
TrillDill

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:52 pm

TrillDill wrote:Im having the same problem can someone please help me out

Try this version:
you better move.aup
(73.52 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Permanent link to this post Posted by TrillDill » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:59 pm

steve wrote:
TrillDill wrote:Im having the same problem can someone please help me out

Try this version:
you better move.aup

yesss i was so mad i thought i lost it thank you sm, fr you all are awesome
TrillDill