Error: reference to invalid character number at line 6

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.

• Please state which version of Windows you are using, the exact three-section version of Audacity from "Help menu > About Audacity".

• Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
    The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

Permanent link to this post Posted by Seaniboi » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:10 pm

Hey, I'm having an issue that I haven't exactly had before.
After saving a project for this one song I can't seem to reopen it without getting this stupid "invalid character error"

I saved multiple of the projects and all three are unopenable with that same problem.
My project folders and .aup files are completely intact, same name and everything.

I have Windows 7 Audacity 2.10 (After having had this problem I upgraded to 2.13 to see if I can open but to no avail)

Let me know what I can do to save my project. Thank you!
Seaniboi

Operating System: Windows 7

Re: Error: reference to invalid character number at line 6

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:23 pm

Attach the problem .aup file and we can take a look.
See here for how to attach a file to your post: https://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopi ... 49&t=64936
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Permanent link to this post Posted by Seaniboi » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:22 am

Here you go, here are the 3-4 .aup files with this issue.
Attachments
swervv.aup
(33.66 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
Seaniboi

Permanent link to this post Posted by Seaniboi » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:29 am

2nd one
Attachments
swerv 2.aup
(33.66 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
Seaniboi

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:50 am

I can tell you in the first one, line 6 appears to be a full-on, Purchase/Subscribe multi-linked commercial. Do you have a Mystery User on your machine with you? When was the last time you did a stiff virus scan?

Are you trying to post a forbidden commercial on the Audacity forum?

Koz

Line 5: (normal)
<tag name="ARTIST" value="Beats By Seismic"/>

Line 6: (not normal)
<tag name="description" value="&#xd83d;&#xdcb0; Download | Purchase : http://bsta.rs/eca96 BUY 1 GET 3 FREE &#xd83d;&#xdc8e; Website - http://www.BeatsBySeismic.net &#x2795; Subscribe! - http://bit.do/BeatsBySeismic &#xd83d;&#xdce7; Contact - [email protected] For untagged and/or any profitable use, please purchase a license: &#x25b6;&#xfe0f; http://bsta.rs/944da This beat is available as a free download for writing and auditioning purposes only. ­___­___ playboi carti playboi carti type beat instrumental free playboi carti type beat lil yachty lil yachty type beat free lil yachty type beat lil yachy instrumental"/>
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:56 am

Seaniboi wrote:After saving a project for this one song I can't seem to reopen it without getting this stupid "invalid character error"

It looks to me like you are trying to use audio clips in your project contrary to the license terms of the copyright owner.
The audio has embedded tags which include the following information:
Code: Select all
This beat is available as a free download for writing and auditioning purposes only
For untagged and/or any profitable use, please purchase a license

As a matter of forum policy, we respect copyright, so we can't advise you further in this case.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Permanent link to this post Posted by Seaniboi » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:34 pm

What exactly do you mean? The audio file I'm using is a simple instrumental from YouTube. It comes with tags so that if you want to profit or gain full rights to it you gotta buy it. Using it in my project and asking you guys for assistance shouldn't violate anything because I'm not

A. Profitting
B. Advertising(intentionally anyways)

But from what i can see I guess all that link garbage and crazy numbers shouldn't be in that line? How can I go about editing it without corrupting the files
Seaniboi

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:00 pm

Seaniboi wrote:What exactly do you mean? The audio file I'm using is a simple instrumental from YouTube.
It comes with tags so that if you want to profit or gain full rights to it you gotta buy it.

It is not directly from YouTube, I believe. I think you have to go to the beats site and get the free download from there. That is the problem. The free download is tagged. Removing or modifying the tags on the free download, to make Audacity accept it in a project file, would make it "untagged", and would be a licence infraction.

I think you will have to use another application to see if it can edit and resave the file without modifying the tags.

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by Seaniboi » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:13 pm

No, the tags its referring to are the producers little voice signature through out the song where it says "Seismic beats" and "Purchase your tracks today"

I got it straight from YouTube through anything2mp3 download. I can safely assure you nothing is being violated
Seaniboi

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Mon May 01, 2017 1:04 pm

Seaniboi wrote:No, the tags its referring to are the producers little voice signature through out the song where it says "Seismic beats" and "Purchase your tracks today" I got it straight from YouTube through anything2mp3 download. I can safely assure you nothing is being violated

YouTube don't store MP3s, they store videos. The project you presented contains tags that can't be removed or modified without violating the licence.

You will need to use an application that does not modify the tags.

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Operating System: Windows 10

Next

Return to Windows