Cannot save midi file

I am using Win10 x64 on Audacity 2.1.3. I go through all the motions to save the mp3 as an ‘other uncompressed file’ ‘SDS’ ‘24 bit PCM’ and the error message I get is ‘Cannot export audio in this format’. I also have LAME installed. HELP!!!

Jim

“SDS” is not a MIDI file.
“MIDI” is not audio.
“LAME” is only for exporting MP3.
What are you trying to achieve?

I have an mp3 file that I want to convert to a midi file

It appears to be audio samples dumped as MIDI “System Exclusive” messages. I can export a mono track at 44100 Hz as SDS 24-bit PCM and play it in Winamp. I see the error that gorillamotors sees if the track is stereo. So try Tracks > Stereo Track to Mono.

If you need stereo, split the stereo track to mono using the Audio Track Dropdown Menu then File > Export Multiple…, which gives you an SDS file for each channel.

Gale

By the way, SDS probably isn’t what you want when you say “convert MP3 to MIDI” (i.e. MIDI notes that a score reader application could read). When you import the SDS file into Winamp and Audacity they will convert the SDS file back to 24-bit PCM audio.

See http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Midi#to_midi if you really want to convert MP3 to MIDI.

Gale