Always an additional "-project data" folder

Windows 10- 8 GB - Audacity v2.1.2
I’ve been using Audacity to record and assemble our podcast. I export it as an .mp3 file and also save an Audacity Project file for emergencies. The mp3 file uploads to our host without a problem and plays well from there and iTunes.
However, a couple of times, a guest wanted to hear the show before it was posted. Dues to its size, (Average 75KB-90KB) I move the .mp3 file into Drop Box (Basic, free version). Then I receive a notice from Drop Box that the Box is almost full. When I examine my Drop Box using Windows Explorer, I see that not only is the .mp3 file there, but a folder is there with a name “xxxxxxx - Project Data,” which, of course, eats up additional space. Does the program have to transfer this folder to support the finished .mp3 file or is there a way around it?
Thanks!
Steve

That’s an Audacity Project and MP3 is a stand-alone sound file. I don’t know where the system is getting that additional work from.

Koz

You could try Audacity 2.1.3 and get it from us.

http://www.audacityteam.org/download/windows/

Make sure you have protection copies of all your plugs-ins and add-ons and say yes when it asks you to reset preferences and settings.

Koz

I don’t understand. The Windows installer of Audacity does not remove custom plugins that you added.

“Reset Preferences” in the Windows installer gives you a fresh audacity.cfg file. The fresh audacity.cfg file does not change plugins that are registered to run in Audacity, or their settings. To reset those, you would have to delete pluginregistry.cfg and pluginsettings.cfg by hand.

Gale

Audacity has no control over what Dropbox does. The MP3 or any file you exported using an export command is self-sufficient and does not need the project folder.

Gale

It’s probably worth backing up a bit.

save an Audacity Project file for emergencies.

I hope not. Audacity projects have multiple parts, see illustration, above. It’s not A File (yet). An Audacity Project will not open with any of the parts missing. We can’t start with the pile of files in the _DATA folder and recreate the show without the AUP file of the same name. Also, Projects are brittle. Moving one is dangerous even if you do follow all the rules and renaming anything is forbidden.

Also, as above, neither of us can figure out where you got the additional data from. It’s not part of the regular Audacity suite, no matter how you save the work. Custom Audacity installs are available from multiple different sources other than our official download. Goodness knows how they work. Contact the supplier if that’s what you did. We can’t control or support those.

Gale posted a method of making Audacity start from zero/first birthday.

The Windows installer of Audacity does not remove custom plugins that you added.

So the people trying to resolve an Audacity problem by reinstalling are even further away from likely success.

I think not keeping safety backups of add-ons and plug-ins is silly.

Koz

The Windows installer of Audacity never removed the custom plugins you added into Audacity’s Plug-Ins folder. I don’t think it should, unless it was an option rather than compulsory.

In the past, the fresh audacity.cfg would force you to re-register the plugins that Audacity was using. But not now that we have the pluginregistry.cfg file.

Gale

That’s understandable, but isn’t it the case you can have an add-on or plug-in that can cause Audacity to act funny or fail to run or even start? Obviously, if I have these conditions I need to reinstall Audacity to make it start over.

Oh, wait…

I have a warm spot for a “burn it off, hose it down, and start over” option. I didn’t invent that phrase. That was from an engineering supervisor at a radio station in Washington, DC. He rather likes that option, too.

Do all these software packages and tool collections vanish if I straight, plain uninstall Audacity?

Koz

All you have to do to hose down on Windows, Mac or Linux is to delete Audacity’s folder for application data.

Gale