Windows 10 USB sound source disconnects speakers!

Hello
Not really an Audacity problem which is working just fine…but!
Having problems recording from a USB record deck with Windows 10 on a friend’s computer.
When I plug in, I can see that I am recording ok, but I cannot hear anything through my speakers which are connected to my internal soundcard via the normal 3.5mm plug . Going into settings, it appears that as soon as I plug in a USB source, Windows 10 assumes that I am also using USB speakers and I cannot see how to separate them.
Tried running sndvol.exe … No better options and the /R switch doesn’t help either. (Seems totally castrated from the XP version)
This is not a problem with XP, so is there any way of using a USB sound source and listening through either inbuilt speakers or external ones connected to the sound card?
P.S. Is recording fine from usb and when I remove the USB plug, I can play the recording back through the normal speakers!

Select the speakers as your Audacity [u]Playback Device[/u].

Going into settings, it appears that as soon as I plug in a USB source, Windows 10 assumes that I am also using USB speakers and I cannot see how to separate them.

Try right-clicking the speaker/volume icon. Select Playback Devices and choose the regular soundcard/speakers as your default playback device.

Try right-clicking the speaker/volume icon. Select Playback Devices and choose the regular soundcard/speakers as your default playback device.

Thanks for the suggestion but, if I do that I can get sound but not from the deck as it disables USB as the sound source. There doesn’t seem to be a separate recording and playback control.
My own setup is on XP where there isn’t a problem… I was planning to bite the bullet and update fairly soon… But this is a killer for me as I have a touch of RSD and need to use speech recognition with my Sennheiser connected through a USB sound card to get the cleanest signal.

Thanks for the suggestion but, if I do that I can get sound but not from the deck as it disables USB as the sound source. There doesn’t seem to be a separate recording and playback control.

Normally there are separate selections, so maybe it’s a driver problem.

Are there any analog outputs on the “USB deck”? If not, you may have to record without monitoring.

Normally there are separate selections, so maybe it’s a driver problem.

Are there any analog outputs on the “USB deck”? If not, you may have to record without monitoring.

There is a dual phono out so we can get an adapter cable and bypass the problem. I need to plug my USB sound pod into another computer which should tell if it is a driver problem or a Windows 10 improvement.

Cheers and thanks… clarified my thoughts
Mark