Windows 10 USB sound source disconnects speakers!

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.

• Please state which version of Windows you are using, the exact three-section version of Audacity from Help > About Audacity and whether you obtained the .exe installer or the zip.

• Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
    The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

Windows 10 USB sound source disconnects speakers!

Permanent link to this post Posted by MarkUK » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:47 pm

Hello
Not really an Audacity problem which is working just fine...but!
Having problems recording from a USB record deck with Windows 10 on a friend's computer.
When I plug in, I can see that I am recording ok, but I cannot hear anything through my speakers which are connected to my internal soundcard via the normal 3.5mm plug . Going into settings, it appears that as soon as I plug in a USB source, Windows 10 assumes that I am also using USB speakers and I cannot see how to separate them.
Tried running sndvol.exe .. No better options and the /R switch doesn't help either. (Seems totally castrated from the XP version)
This is not a problem with XP, so is there any way of using a USB sound source and listening through either inbuilt speakers or external ones connected to the sound card?
P.S. Is recording fine from usb and when I remove the USB plug, I can play the recording back through the normal speakers!
MarkUK

Operating System: Please select

Re: Windows 10 USB sound source disconnects speakers!

Permanent link to this post Posted by DVDdoug » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:46 pm

Select the speakers as your Audacity Playback Device.

Going into settings, it appears that as soon as I plug in a USB source, Windows 10 assumes that I am also using USB speakers and I cannot see how to separate them.
Try right-clicking the speaker/volume icon. Select Playback Devices and choose the regular soundcard/speakers as your default playback device.
DVDdoug
Forum Crew

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by MarkUK » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:49 pm

Try right-clicking the speaker/volume icon. Select Playback Devices and choose the regular soundcard/speakers as your default playback device.

Thanks for the suggestion but, if I do that I can get sound but not from the deck as it disables USB as the sound source. There doesn't seem to be a separate recording and playback control.
My own setup is on XP where there isn't a problem.. I was planning to bite the bullet and update fairly soon.. But this is a killer for me as I have a touch of RSD and need to use speech recognition with my Sennheiser connected through a USB sound card to get the cleanest signal.
MarkUK

Permanent link to this post Posted by DVDdoug » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:30 pm

Thanks for the suggestion but, if I do that I can get sound but not from the deck as it disables USB as the sound source. There doesn't seem to be a separate recording and playback control.
Normally there are separate selections, so maybe it's a driver problem.

Are there any analog outputs on the "USB deck"? If not, you may have to record without monitoring.
DVDdoug
Forum Crew

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by MarkUK » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:57 am

Normally there are separate selections, so maybe it's a driver problem.

Are there any analog outputs on the "USB deck"? If not, you may have to record without monitoring.

There is a dual phono out so we can get an adapter cable and bypass the problem. I need to plug my USB sound pod into another computer which should tell if it is a driver problem or a Windows 10 improvement.

Cheers and thanks.. clarified my thoughts
Mark
MarkUK

Return to Windows