Aud 2.1.3, Windows 10, can't play old files

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.

• Please state which version of Windows you are using, the exact three-section version of Audacity from Help > About Audacity and whether you obtained the .exe installer or the zip.

• Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
    The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

Aud 2.1.3, Windows 10, can't play old files

Permanent link to this post Posted by obscurereference » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:37 pm

I just used the installer to load 2.1.3. The old files I have are extremely distorted. I tried deleting and re-installing, no luck. Same thing if I record. Playback is just a bunch of buzzing.
obscurereference

Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Aud 2.1.3, Windows 10, can't play old files

Permanent link to this post Posted by DVDdoug » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:07 pm

Is there a particular format you're having trouble with? Are these Audacity AUP files, or WAV, etc.?

Can you play the files with other software (Windows Media Player, etc.)?

Same thing if I record. Playback is just a bunch of buzzing.
Are you saying it's distorted if you record something, and then play it back before saving/exporting?

If you record & export, can you play the files in Windows Media Player?
DVDdoug
Forum Crew

Re: Aud 2.1.3, Windows 10, can't play old files

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:19 pm

obscurereference wrote:I just used the installer to load 2.1.3. The old files I have are extremely distorted. I tried deleting and re-installing, no luck. Same thing if I record. Playback is just a bunch of buzzing.

Reinstalling Audacity does not change its settings at all unless you enable "Reset Preferences" half way through the installer.

To record, choose the device you recording from in Device Toolbar.

Have you installed the FFmpeg Import/Export Library? This lets you import many more file types into Audacity.

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Return to Windows