Sound muted

I am using both a Lenovo PC and a Lenovo Thinkpad with the latest Audicity version and Windows 10. I am using a brand new Audio Technica USB mic. When I first downloaded Audacity on the laptop and tried to record, the levels showed (big squiggles) and the sound was loud and clear. The next day, I tried the same thing and now the sound is super muted, the squiggles are tiny and it sounds like I am down a long hallway. I uploaded Audacity on the PC thinking maybe that would be better and with that I get NO sound whatsoever. It looks like it is recording.

I have gone into the Volume mixer on both, I have checked the annoying Lenovo settings which sometimes mutes things behind the scenes, I have downloaded audio drivers from Lenovo, I have uninstalled and reinstalled. I have the playback going to speakers on computer and not mic. Every volume setting I can find is turned all the way up. All noise cancellation and othersimilar settings are off. After reinstalling laptop - no sounds is being recorded. I am wondering if this is a Windows 10 issue?? I am stumped.

Audacity gets its sound from Windows and Win10 has its own sound meters.

Right-click on the speaker icon in the bottom right tooldock - then click on Open Volume Mixer

Do you have it there?

Which microphone by part number?

Koz

Have you done a cold boot lately? Windows key, Power Menu, hold SHIFT and press “Shut down”.

In case something has reset speech recognition you could right-click over the speaker icon by the system clock, then choose “Recording Devices”. Right-click over the Audio Technica then choose “Configure Speech Recognition”. Click “Set up Microphone” and select “Other”. Run through the steps.

Gale

I am using a brand new Audio Technica USB mic…

… The next day, I tried the same thing and now the sound is super muted, the squiggles are tiny and it sounds like I am down a long hallway.

If it’s a “studio style” or “podcast” mic, it’s probably directional. Make sure you are talking/singing into the front side (assuming it’s a side-address mic), not the back side or the end.

And, make sure you are recording form the USB mic and not the mic build-into your laptop. (Scratch the microphone grill with your fingernail or lightly-tap it with your fingernail… Don’t bang on it…)