endless loop - gaps

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.

• Please state which version of Windows you are using, the exact three-section version of Audacity from "Help menu > About Audacity".

• Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
    The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

endless loop - gaps

Permanent link to this post Posted by cisz » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:32 am

I have Audacity 2.1.0 and am using Windows 7 pro x64.

I want to create an endless loop of whitenoise. It seems to do it successfully in Audacity when I test it with "shift+space" but when I export it to the windows wav 16 bit pcm, it plays back (in windows media player) with a gap between the loops.

Also, I wasn't able to find a zero crossing point (t doesn't look like there is one).

I've attached a copy of the file.

Help appreciated.
Attachments
whitenoise.wav
(642.64 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
cisz

Operating System: Please select

Re: endless loop - gaps

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:48 am

cisz wrote:I've attached a copy of the file.

Loops perfectly for me in Audacity.

cisz wrote:Also, I wasn't able to find a zero crossing point (t doesn't look like there is one).

Not relevant for white noise. It's "random" noise, so the loop point can be anywhere so long as the track is long enough to not have significant periodicity.

cisz wrote:t plays back (in windows media player) with a gap between the loops.

The problem is with the player.
For gapless playback, the player needs to cue up the "next track" (which for a loop, is the start of the loop file) so that it is ready to go immediately.
I don't use Windows Media Player, but you could try enabling "Crossfading" (I expect that details for how to do so are available via Google).
Alternatively you could try a different audio player (for example: http://www.foobar2000.org/)
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Permanent link to this post Posted by cisz » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:44 am

When I test the loop using shift+ space in Audacity it loops ok but if I try playing the exported wav file using "play" (in Audacity) it ends at the end of the loop.

I want to create an endless loop that will play constantly on an audio/video dvd player (not a computer player).

Thanks.
cisz

Permanent link to this post Posted by DVDdoug » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:55 pm

I want to create an endless loop that will play constantly on an audio/video dvd player (not a computer player).
CD/DVD players have a physical limitation... When it gets to the end of the disk the laser has to physically move back to find the beginning. (Hard drives have a similar physical limitation, but they are buffered... They read-ahead.)

Regular audio CDs are limited to about 80 minutes, so you can go 80 minutes without a gap. But if your player can play MP3s, you can put 5-10 times as much on a CD disc, and about 5 times that on a single-layer DVD.* So... Theoretically you should be able to get more than 40 hours on a DVD. But Audacity might choke on a 40-hour program (Audacity uses 32-bit floating point "Internally" so it would take a huge amount of storage before you export to a more-compressed format.)

It plays back (in windows media player) with a gap between the loops.
I couldn't get WMP to work either, but I did get it to work in Winamp. just made a 30-second "noise" MP3 and in turned-on Repeat and Crossfade in Winamp. I couldn't hear a gap when it looped/repeated.

* Most DVD players can play MP3, but not all. If you have DVD authoring software you can make an "audio only" DVD with Dolby AC3 audio at about the same compression/bitrate as MP3, and that disc will play on any DVD player.
DVDdoug
Forum Crew

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by cisz » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:59 am

The dvd player says it's an mp3 decoder.

Could you explain how to increase the record time using mp3?

Thanks.
cisz

Permanent link to this post Posted by cisz » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:00 am

Or maybe I should ask - would you be able to recommend a free burning software that is able to make an "audio only" DVD with Dolby AC3 audio?

I assume that type of software is able to compress the file so that it plays longer?
cisz

Return to Windows