How do I reduce background sound and maintain voice?

I more than likely made the error in recording my video. It was background music on while I narrated a discussion. Also I had 20 knot winds. I am able to reduce the wind using noise reduction, but I wasn’t sure if I can reduce the music as they seem to be at the same level as the voice. I searched the forum and noted that may be a problem with a single recording converted to a mp3 to edit audio then import back to the video.

Once I learn what I am doing and how to edit this is going to be great! Love your program!

Thanks!
LL18 (Julie)

I learn what I am doing

Or how to shoot in difficult or impossible conditions.

We can’t separate a performance into individual voices, instruments, music or sounds. The radio/iPod is now one of the performers in your show. You just have to know that. That’s why you can’t do interviews in most restaurants or cafes. The grownups get away with it by hiring the restaurant—the whole thing—for the duration of the interview and turn the ceiling music off.

High wind shoots can be done, too. What were you using for a microphone? I don’t think it’s possible to fix the microphone on top of a camera. They’re designed to be cheap, inexpensive and not cost very much. Quality of sound is fourth.

Did you shoot separate sound? Camera plus recorder? That has possibilities. How did you do it? Some cameras can shoot external microphone with a wire back to the camera. Those can work, too.

A friend did a sound shoot in near-impossible conditions with one of these.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=79499&gclid=CIKu6Nylm9MCFQ6ZfgodJz4HrA&Q=&ap=y&c3api=1876%2C{creative}%2C{keyword}&is=REG&A=details

He also had a “Dead Cat” wind screen. I can’t find the illustration, but it looks like a dead cat you shove your microphone in. It takes out most of the wind noise and the super directionality of the microphone does the rest.

The best, cheapest instructions for shooting on a windy day with music on is don’t do that.

Koz

Oh, Do Not use MP3 anywhere in the production. Export from Audacity WAV (Microsoft) 16-bit, 48000. MP3 creates sound damage and you can’t stop it. Most video editors will accept 48000 sampling rate with no damage and no conversion. If you have to, use 44100 instead and make the video editor convert it.

Koz

Oh I thought it would be cool to video a discussion on my front porch with background music for a workshop I am presenting. I used my MS surface tablet camera/mic. Then I realized I couldn’t edit audio so I went to Cnet and looked up best rated Audio editing app and Video editing app. And here I am! Plus I had heard about audacity when I researched software for generating podcasts.

I downloaded Green Free Video Converter > Imported Mp4 I recorded and selected convert to Mp3 at 44100 hz. The audio codec choices are: Mp3, Mp2, Ac3 or disable. I know I might sound like I know what that means, but I simply went to look it up and write down to give more info! lol

I love making videos, adding audio and my experience is limited to Movie Maker or using PowerPoint to embellish my slides and then converting to slide/movie. I just started filming live video for discussion group I am a member of and recorded a podcasts for am addiction resource company and loved the way it flowed. I hope to add podcasts or live streaming or film QUALITY videos/audio to submit to my own organization.

So yes, I am learning! I just saved an original copy and then clicked all your buttons to see what it would sound like… WHOA! good thing I made a copy!

I am simply going to let background music stand and live with the successful noise reduction of the winds! I love the comment: DON’T DO IT! Next time it is a windy day I’ll say my performance for another day! :slight_smile:

Thank you all! I look forward to asking more in depth or irritating questions in the future! Especially if the podcasts get started!
littlelamb18

Let me add that I am not against purchasing quality software to meet my needs. I just hate wasting money when there are so many out there and the reviews sound obviously paid for! So I am open to suggestions for video and audio productions! Thanks!

LL18

with background music for a workshop

It is totally. That’s why you shoot it clean and put the music in later. If you mess anything up while you’re shooting mixed sound, you’re stuck.

There are a bunch of forum postings from people shooting one-pass mixed sound.

“My doobly-doo turned out louder than the voices. How do I change it in Audacity?” You probably don’t.

If you apply the FFMpeg software to Audacity, it should open the sound portion of a video directly with no other software. Scroll down on this page.

Please note we have no good way to put the edited sound back in to the video. That’s up to you and a video editor.

I hope to add podcasts or live streaming or film QUALITY videos/audio to submit to my own organization.

You shoot a bunch of these things and make all the mistakes.

“You know, we should probably shoot our interview further away from the ice maker. About every three minutes it makes that kaBOOM sound.”

You never said how you were doing what you’re doing. You only need a million dollars if you insist on shooting impossible locations. I have a very nice quiet third bedroom. I cranked out a totally passable voice test with my iPod and special free software.

Koz

I used MS Surface Tablet Pro camera and built in mic set on a table with gale forces winds and music! I also shoot videos with my Nikon D90 and hope to start filming tutorials for my mom’s (artist) webpage I am working on and create a youtube channel for them or upload straight to the website. I recently purchased a soft light and rack for background photos of her work. I need whatever I use to be user-friendly because my time is limited in the “learning how this works” stuff! Making mistakes has been my most successful way of learning how to do just about anything! I’m headed to repair the tank to toilet bolts as we speak! Rather be trying to work on my audio file though!

Thanks for your help! I did actually get a lot out of your comments and suggestions! :slight_smile:
LL18

Nothing says eight-year-old with a camera faster than shaky, swishy camera work. Use a tripod and a fluid head if you can afford it. Picture pan and tilt with honey in it.

Sound kills more videos than anything else. I vividly remember a video where somebody went to the effort to recreate a news set, half-height desk, lights and all. The effect was stunning until they starting talking. It sounded like a bathroom.

There is no zoom microphone. You gotta get one close to the performer.

Koz