echo / reverb during internet recording

I am really new to this amazing piece of software so I hope this is not too simple a question to ask. I have searched quite a bit for an answer but haven’t found one yet. I have found really a lot of technical language that I am not familiar with so maybe the answer is in plain sight and I have missed it.

I am simply recording a song from the internet onto my computer. When I play it back, the tune is distorted by the amount of reverb? echo? that is heard. When I listen to the same tune when I am not recording it, it sounds “normal”. I am not sure what term to use other than reverb and echo because that is what it sounds like.

My process to record is: find a tune that is playing, press record, when it is done press stop, then press play to listen to it.

Is there a way to specify NO reverb / echo ? I have fiddled with every option in the Effects but to no avail.

Thanks, Jack

My process to record is: find a tune that is playing, press record, when it is done press stop, then press play to listen to it.

Maybe you are recording from the microphone built into your laptop?

If you have Windows 7, 8, or 10, select WASAPI (loopback) as your [u]Recording Device[/u] to “capture” (record) the signal being sent to your computer speakers. Or, these is some information [u]here[/u].

I have fiddled with every option in the Effects but to no avail.

FYI - Audacity cannot add any effects while recording. (Windows sometimes “enhances” the signal before Audacity sees it, but that’s probably not your problem.)

Also don’t forget when recording WASAPI loopback or stereo mix to turn off Transport > Software Playthrough at the top of Audacity.

Gale