Recording breakup

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.

• Please state which version of Windows you are using, the exact three-section version of Audacity from Help > About Audacity and whether you obtained the .exe installer or the zip.

• Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
    The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

Re: Recording breakup

Permanent link to this post Posted by Tonkda » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:52 am

Gale:

Thank you for your continued attention to this matter. I just got off a call to Hp Smart Friend regarding this thread. I am hoping that once they review these posts, they will clearly understand the problem. Perhaps they will understand what you've written about better than I am able. And they will then hopefully be able to elevate my understanding to a workable solution. They will review what we have discussed herein. I am going to re contact them in a few days. For I will be busy the next few days with other business on my end.

I am really hoping that there's nothing wrong with this laptop computer. Oh gosh, its only 5 months old. It's state of the art. It's got an i7 processor. And other good stuff. And if I've got to return it for service, that is going to be a real hassle; if I can't obtain another computer immediately to replace it. Much of my work requires the use of this computer.

To be continued
Tonkda

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by Tonkda » Fri May 12, 2017 9:29 am

Since purchasing a wire 3.5mm to 2.0 USB didn't work with my laptop computer, because it didn't pick up the audio from my portable, but it did still pick up my voice even with the microphones "off" in my laptop [Settings > Privacy > Microphone "Off"], I am now considering this external device:

Portable USB Cassette Tape to MP3 iPod CD Converter Capture Audio Music Player
as seen on Ebay.

However, before I purchase this unit I asked the seller a few question:
1. Does item work with Windows 10?
2. Correct my logic if wrong: 60 or 90 min Cassette goes into this device, your software once in my laptop allows me to either: a) make a wav file to transfer to a CD-R disc which will then be playable in any CD player? ( ) Yes or ( ) No
b) make a transfer of wav file from (a) above to a Flash drive? ( ) Yes or ( ) No
c) make a transfer of wav file from (a) above to an MP3 file which can either:
x) be loaded into an MP3 player ( ) Yes or ( ) No; or
y) be saved as an MP3 file on my laptop computer for eventual transfer to an MP3 player later on ( ) Yes or ( ) No; or z) can actually be played on my laptop as and MP3 file
3) During the transfer of audio sound from this device to my laptop computer:
a) can I listen to what is being transferred during the process?
b) if I speak or if there are background sounds during the transfer of audio (as defined above (3)(a) then will my voice or background sounds be picked up during audio transfer?

Part two of my just sent email:
If the answers to my questions in my first email just send on to you are positive and meet my interests then I will purchase this device from you.
Please also answer:
1) The quality of the recordings being transferred hopefully is an exact copy?
( ) Yes or ( ) No?
2) If this device can make a wav file then can that file be loaded into the Audacity Software? See: http://manual.audacityteam.org/
( ) Yes or ( ) No?
Let me thank you for taking the time to carefully review and answer the questions I've asked in my first and part two emails. Good day.

I am still waiting on an answer from this seller, but I also would like those of you in the know to offer your opinion.
If you should decide to answer my questions above then please just site the number from my first email to the seller or from Part two.
A simple "yes" or "no" is fine.
Thank you.
Tonkda

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Fri May 12, 2017 3:44 pm

Settings > Privacy > Microphone "Off" does not disable your internal or external microphone. It just stops certain modern (UWP) applications using a microphone.

Is there a problem with your using the UCA 202 that we recommend? Have HP finally confirmed you can connect a USB 1.1 audio device like the UCA 202 to the two USB 3.1 Gen 1 ports that are not specifically for charging?

Have HP assisted you with re-installing the drivers of the built-in sound device?

Will they agree to repair or replace the computer under warranty, given it (or the built-in sound device) was described by you as faulty, or will they fund a USB device for you? These would be good questions to ask them.

If this or similar is what you are considering http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Portable-USB-Cassette-Tape-to-MP3-iPod-CD-Converter-Capture-Audio-Music-Player-/331798225705 it's cheap Chinese junk in my opinion with very likely a poor transport mechanism. You already have the means to play cassettes (and CD and radio) with your portable player, and I thought you sometimes wanted to record the radio too. I recommend you read any user reviews you can find of the eBay device, or find the same item on Amazon where there are likely to be more user reviews of it.

If you are still happy with the quality of the portable player, the correct answer in my opinion would be to buy a UCA 202 and an appropriate cable if necessary that can connect to the RCA inputs of the UCA 202.

To record the USB Cassette player offered on eBay you would connect the USB cable to the computer, launch Audacity then choose the USB Cassette player as the Audacity recording device. To listen to the recording while it is being made, turn on Transport > Software Playthrough in the Audacity menus. You would follow a similar process to record from the UCA 202.

No-one can guess what you mean by an exact copy of a recording. Fanatics state for example that the bit depth of the recording must not be changed. In that case you cannot use Audacity because it or Windows will change the bit depth of the recording. I suggest you forget such fanatical arguments.

An analogue signal from any cassette player has to be converted to digital so Audacity can record it. That conversion happens now in your built-in sound card (when it does not record the internal mic array in error). If you buy the eBay cassette player or UCA 202 then the analogue to digital converter in the USB device does that conversion. We know UCA 202 does not pick up much noise at the point the USB cable connects to the computer.

Cheap USB cassette players and turntables are quite likely to add whining noise that is thrown back from the USB connection into the signal before it is converted to digital. You can remove that type of noise with Audacity Noise Reduction, possibly reducing the recording quality somewhat in the process, but only you can decide what quality you accept.

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Permanent link to this post Posted by Tonkda » Wed May 17, 2017 3:02 am

Gale:
Question: How am I supposed to use the UCA202? It has (by picture of device) two input ports and one USB jack on the end of its output wire. My portable Radio / Cassette Tape / CD player only has one output headphones socket, so I can listen to business or music cassette tapes or a CD or even a radio program recorded in stereo. So, how am I supposed to plug two jacks from my portable player into the UCA202?
Hey Gale, this stuff is like a foreign language to me. Please forgive my lack of understanding, but I am learning a lot from all of this stuff.
And tech wiz Gale, you are right about what you said regarding the Settings > Privacy > Microphone. "Yes," that only controls which apps can control my laptop microphones. But I did speak to a Microsoft tech rep at a retail store, and I learned how to disable the microphones in my laptop.
So, what now?
Tonkda

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Wed May 17, 2017 2:57 pm

Tonkda wrote: How am I supposed to use the UCA202?

Has HP agreed your computer supports USB 1.1 Audio Devices or not?

Tonkda wrote:It has (by picture of device) two input ports and one USB jack on the end of its output wire. My portable Radio / Cassette Tape / CD player only has one output headphones socket, so I can listen to business or music cassette tapes or a CD or even a radio program recorded in stereo. So, how am I supposed to plug two jacks from my portable player into the UCA202?

I answered this before, but buy a TRS stereo male to RCA stereo male cable, like this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/1-5m-TRS-Stereo-Audio-Cable/dp/B0024CAWS2. That cable has a 1/8 inch TRS jack which would go into the portable player's headphones outlet. If that outlet is larger, it will be 1/4 inch. In that case, look for a similar cable that is 1/4 inch TRS male to RCA stereo male. The RCA plugs are always the same size.

Tonkda wrote:And tech wiz Gale, you are right about what you said regarding the Settings > Privacy > Microphone. "Yes," that only controls which apps can control my laptop microphones. But I did speak to a Microsoft tech rep at a retail store, and I learned how to disable the microphones in my laptop.
So, what now?

I don't understand your question. The correct place to disable the built-in mic array is in Windows Sound (Recording tab).

If you are happy to record in low quality in mono using your adaptor, keeping the input level well down, and disabling the mic array stops your voice being recorded, then you can proceed. However if the recording was really switching randomly between mic array and combo input, I would expect it now to switch randomly between recording silence and the combo input. You can try it to see what happens.

Otherwise, I recommend you try UCA 202.

Gale
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Permanent link to this post Posted by Tonkda » Fri May 19, 2017 1:53 pm

Gale:
As a reminder:
I am using Audacity 2.1.3 (If that is the latest version and the correct #s)
I am using Windows 10 Home Ed
I get Audacity from the .exe

Also:
I only have one USB 3.1 port
Hp has answered you previous questions in the positive. Unfortunately while typing I can't view former posts.
My portable player uses a 3.5mm socket, not a 1/4 inch
The wire you suggested is incorrect to go from my portable to the UCA202.
I need a wire that has a 3.5mm male jack.
And I understand the RCA jacks are standard size.

Here's what I plan on doing now:
I will buy the UCA202
I will search for the right wire to connect my portable to the UCA
I will disable my laptop microphone before attempting to transfer audio to my laptop from my portable to the UCA202 to my laptop 3.1 USB port
I will hope to see that I can record a stereo track in Audacity

I still don't completely understand bit rate.
However, using the old vinyl records as analogy, the speeds were 16, 33, 45, 78 rpm
So, I kind of understand bit rate being similar.
How to control the bit rate is still a mystery to me.
And all I really need to know is what to set the bit rate to while I record as defined above.

This is going to take some time for me to accomplish
I have other priorities to focus on in my life
However, I will do this in the near future.
Standby
Tonkda

Permanent link to this post Posted by Tonkda » Sat May 20, 2017 5:50 am

Is this the appropriate wire I need to connect my portable to the UCA202?

3.5mm Stereo Audio Male to Dual RCA Male - 6 FT - 3.5mm Audio Cable to RCA
Seen on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/3-5mm-Stereo-Aud ... male+plugs
If this is incorrect then please advise what is the right wire.

Thank you.
Tonkda

Permanent link to this post Posted by Tonkda » Sat May 20, 2017 8:41 am

After some further thought, I thought about the need to have a 3.5mm TRRS male plug attached to a wire to RCA male plugs to connect to the UCA202.
So, I went on Amazon again and found this wire:
Parts Express 3.5mm Plug (4 Pole) To 3 RCA A/V Cable 6 feet
I think this is the wire I need. Am I correct about the above wire?
Please specify exactly which wire I need this one on this post or the one I showed in my last post?
Gee, this stuff is so complicated, by the time I'm done solving my problem I'll be a newbie techie.
How do you folks deal with all of this technical stuff? You people are amazing.
Thanks Gale
Tonkda

Permanent link to this post Posted by Tonkda » Sat May 20, 2017 8:57 am

Dear Super Gale:
One more thing: Here's why I wrote my last post:
I think this one is probably right because the 3.5mm male probably needs to be a TRRS plug. I'm not sure because on this end of the wire all I'm really doing is capturing the stereo audio from the portable player. The other end of the wire has to allow the UCA202 record what is being sent down to the RCA plugs. Can you tell me which wire is the right one? Thankkkk Youuuu :)
Tonkda

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Sat May 20, 2017 1:17 pm

Tonkda wrote:My portable player uses a 3.5mm socket, not a 1/4 inch
The wire you suggested is incorrect to go from my portable to the UCA202.
I need a wire that has a 3.5mm male jack.

If you have a 3.5mm headphones outlet then the cable I suggested https://www.amazon.co.uk/1-5m-TRS-Stereo-Audio-Cable/dp/B0024CAWS2 is correct. The "1.5m" in the URL is the length of the cable not the size of the plug.

If you have a reason to prefer https://www.amazon.com/3-5mm-Stereo-Audio-Male-Dual/dp/B00IE7Z628/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1495258824 which has cable that is 1 foot longer, you can use that instead.

Your portable player will almost certainly have a TRS output for the headphones, not TRRS, so you need one of the above cables. Look at the plug on the headphones you connect now to the portable player. Does it not have two black rings instead of three? If it has two black rings then either cable above is correct.

Gale
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

PreviousNext

Return to Windows