Recording breakup

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.

• Please state which version of Windows you are using, the exact three-section version of Audacity from "Help menu > About Audacity".

• Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
    The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

Recording breakup

Permanent link to this post Posted by Tonkda » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:15 pm

Required Info: Windows 10 / 2.1.3 / .exe

Hi to all:
Oh gosh, so much to learn.
Absolutely overwhelming info.
But I have been reading two Tutorials:
Editing an Audio File
Your First Recording
Getting Started
Also looked through FAQ's

Here's what I am trying to do.
I own a cassette tape collection most of which are information tapes of seminars, etc.
I have figured out how to get sound from my portable tape player, which is part of my portable radio, tape player and CD player, into my laptop computer.
I'm using a new laptop which has a combo mic/headphone port.
I have been able to start my cassette tape and begin recording a track.
However, some parts of my sample recording is fine while some parts are choppe.
In other words, when the speakers are talking on the cassette tape the recording in Audacity seems to breakup at parts.
The breaks are about 1 second or so apart.
I'm not sure why this is so?
If I listen just to my cassette tape on my portable player, it sounds fine.
But the track in Audacity is not smooth.

So, I checked into my recording preferences.
There I see:
Audio to Buffer
and
Latency Correction
I've got a feeling these setting have something to do with the problem I've reported in this post.

My question:
How do I fix this?

Thank you
Last edited by Gale Andrews on Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: more specific topic title
Tonkda

Operating System: Windows 10

Re: First time posting

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:20 pm

I was wondering if we had a pre-baked step-by-step because this is a fairly common request.

http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/tuto ... rding.html

The Latency setting under Recording is to adjust overdubbing. When you play or sing many different parts of the same song, this setting makes sure all the voices or instruments lay on top of each other accurately.

I can see one problem immediately. Many headset connections on Windows machines assume you're going to plug a headset in—a microphone and some form of headphones. It's almost always a single microphone. It's a version of this.

Most cassette machines and most entertainment systems are stereo. Left and Right sound and the sound is different. That's what gives you the realism of a live performance.

Some laptops can switch between different sound systems, most won't.

I use a simple USB stereo adapter. That's a Behringer UCA-202 and my stereo sound mixer on the right.

That's not the only problem. Most laptops have voice processing to suppress echoes and background noises. Most of the time you want to turn that off to keep them from interfering with the show. They particularly hate music.

I may be re-writing stuff that's already there. See how far you get with the help postings and then post back when you get stuck.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Re: Recording breakup

Permanent link to this post Posted by Trebor » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:15 am

Tonkda wrote:However, some parts of my sample recording is fine while some parts are choppe[d] ...
My question: How do I fix this?

Have a look at the anti-skipping strategies ...
http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/faq_recording_troubleshooting.html#How_can_I_record_without_small_skips_or_duplications.3F

e.g. increase the process-priority of Audacity from "normal" to "above normal"...

Temporarily Change CPU priority in Windows (Vista).gif
temporary : reverts to "normal" after reboot
Temporarily Change CPU priority in Windows (Vista).gif (220.05 KiB) Viewed 613 times
Trebor

Operating System: Windows Vista

Permanent link to this post Posted by Tonkda » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:38 pm

Trebor wrote:Have a look at the anti-skipping strategies ...
http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/faq_recording_troubleshooting.html#How_can_I_record_without_small_skips_or_duplications.3F

e.g. increase the process-priority of Audacity from "normal" to "above normal"...

I did look at the link to the manual: How_can_I_record_without_small_skips_or_duplications.
I am turning off my internet connection temporarily. Hopefully that will help resolve this skipping/choppy issue.
I also am making sure certain options are off as discussed in FAQ (above).
However, I am using Windows 10 Home ed. and when opening the Task Manager, I am unable to control priority as your recorded diagram shows.

I need to see if my changes have improved my recording.
I only have short times when I can continue my learning and testing of things to accomplish my objective with Audacity.
I have also been viewing some YouTube videos time permitting, which I have found so far to be of much help.
Time now to experiment with things. I'll report back soon.
Tonkda

Permanent link to this post Posted by Tonkda » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:08 pm

Hi to all:
Excuse me for being just a bit over frustrated.
But I just do not understand why this is such a hassle to get this program working for my needs.

This morning, I spent the better part of 2 hours and 40 min and counting fiddling around with this program.
While I have been learning a lot along the way, I realize it is going to take time to become more familiar with things.

At first, I applied some of the above suggestions of others who have contributed to this thread.
At first, I was making some progress too.
But some where along the line, I got stuck in the "mud" quickly sinking into the depths of despair, almost ready to ... well, let's skip the rest of this line.

Now, I don't get it. I was making progress. I actually almost eliminated the chopped recording that I reported at the start of this thread.
I even changed the "Audio to Buffer" from 100 to 200. Which seemed to help somewhat.
I made sure certain previously explain options were unchecked.
I even shut off my internet connection while attempting to record samples from my portable cassette player.
It worked for a while. But then the invisible monsters came and gave me problems.

It's just not fair. I was making progress. I was gaining some level of beginners confidence. And then " the Onion [imagine that!] hit the fan!"

Somehow, my computer stopped picking up the sound from my portable player but it picked up my voice saying some in-colorful statements.
Surely you've been there before!
Why o why is my computer doing this to me? I went to my privacy in settings > microphone and everything is "OFF".
I'm telling ya........there's a gremlin in my computer. A diabolical monster with only one purpose to make me nuts.
This is not fair!

My settings in Audacity are:
Windows WASAPI (Note: the MME and Windows Direct Sound do not work for my purposes. I've so far had the most success with WASAPI)
Microphone Array (Conexant ISST Audio)
I've tried both Mono and Stereo channels. However, when I successfully was recording in Stereo, on playback only the left side of my headphones played sound at a reasonable level, the right side was too low to even be heard. Why? I don't know....it was the green monster! Same thing happened with the Mono recording.
Speakers (Conexant ISST Audio) (Note: I have no idea what the ISST stand for?)

Let me tell you how I get the sound from my portable player into my new laptop Hp computer Envy.
I purchased two different Ugreen wires from Amazon.
The first wire just allows me to plug into the portable player and the computer. Its got two 3.5mm male plugs, one on each end of the wire. I originally thought that was all I needed to transfer the sound into my computer' combo port. Nope! That didn't work. The red maggot stopped it from happening!
So, what does "smarty pants" (me) do? I almost returned the wire to Amazon, but then I found out that I needed a wire that had a microphone male plug. A nice little birdie told me about the difference with the male plugs. You know, some males have the mo joe and some don't! So, I ordered this other wire from Amazon. This wire splits the signal from the first wire into two different wires. Clever little devil, isn't it? One side of the split wire allows the first Ugreen double headed wire to fit into a female connector for microphone signal to pass to the other end of the split wire male plug, which goes into my computer. Gosh, you've got to love the ladies. Really you've got only two choices with 'em. Love 'em or Love 'em some more. That's it with them. The other female end of the split wire allows you to plug in your head phones. Neat stuff, huh?

So, for a while everything was okay. I was making progress in Audacity land.
But then I got hit with the titlewave.
Audacity was recording my voice but not the sound coming out of my friendly dependable portable CD, Radio, Tape player.
What did I do wrong? The gremlin inside my computer is messing with me. My computer should not be picking up my voice at all.

I noticed something else too.
The pointing tool can be depressed to mark a spot in the recorded tract, but it cannot be deselected without clicking on another tool. I don't know, but I was wondering if that had anything to do with my recording problems. I didn't really think so, but I thought I would ask.

Three and a-half hours now. I'm tired. I've got to break from this situation and come back another time.
I do not have a mixer. I really do not want to have to go out and buy a mixer either. I just want to learn to use this program, so I can digitize some of my old cassette tapes and transfer those files to a CD-R so I can play 'em in my computer or car CD player.

Can you help me slay these gremlins and monsters, please?
Thank you
Tonkda

Permanent link to this post Posted by Tonkda » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:30 pm

Earlier today, I made a reply to the above posts. What happened?
Where is my post from earlier today?
Tonkda

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:36 am

Tonkda wrote:Earlier today, I made a reply to the above posts. What happened?
Where is my post from earlier today?

In order to keep this forum free from spam, posts from new forum users are held in a "moderation queue" until one of the forum crew confirms that it is not spam.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:06 pm

It is likely nothing to do with Audacity, if you are still getting dropouts. Other recording applications would have the same problem.

Tonkda wrote:My settings in Audacity are:
Windows WASAPI (Note: the MME and Windows Direct Sound do not work for my purposes.

Why not? What are your purposes? To record computer playback?

MME is the most compatible host for recording from a physical input.

Tonkda wrote:Microphone Array (Conexant ISST Audio)
I've tried both Mono and Stereo channels. However, when I successfully was recording in Stereo, on playback only the left side of my headphones played sound at a reasonable level, the right side was too low to even be heard. Why? I don't know....

You said you had a combo input and output port. This probably wants a TRRS jack plug. So does the adaptor cable you are using have a TRRS plug where it plugs into the computer?

Note that an input like this will be mono, even with the correct adaptor. If you want stereo recording you should not even be trying to use that combo port.

Tonkda wrote:Audacity was recording my voice but not the sound coming out of my friendly dependable portable CD, Radio, Tape player.

Perhaps the cable came loose or is not the correct cable (see above).

The combo port is not suitable for recording high quality stereo sources. You want to buy a USB recording interface like Behringer UCA 202 and connect your tape player to that, then record from the USB interface.

You can rip CD's to a WAV file using Windows Media Player. You don't need to record the CD's. That is a very lossy way of getting the audio off the CD.

Tonkda wrote:The pointing tool can be depressed to mark a spot in the recorded tract, but it cannot be deselected without clicking on another tool.

Correct.

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Permanent link to this post Posted by Tonkda » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:41 am

Hello to all:

First, I am very appreciative of any support coming my way by those with more experience than I.

Now, I'd like those of you interested in this thread to please focus on the problem I will now explain.
I have (as previously stated above in this thread) been able to get sound into my computer from my portable player using wires (purchased separately itemized above in this thread). The male plug coming off the splitter wire that goes into the combo port on my laptop is correct. Why? Because it works to get the sound into my computer using this wonderful software called Audacity.

The problem I am focusing on solving, at this point, is why sometimes when I record a track in Audacity, as a sample less than a minute test, it picks up the sound coming down the wires connected to the combo port on my laptop. But other times, it doesn't pick up that sound. It rather picks up the sound of my voice; that is if I say something after not seeing the Audacity track picking up the sound. Now, I've gone into setting in my computer, and I've made sure to turn off the internal mics for applications in my Windows 10 Home Ed operating system. This means that there are now only three ways for me to get audio sound into my laptop: 1) with and external microphone (I have a $10 or $20 independent external microphone). 2) Using a wire coming from my portable player' headphone output to a wire spliter which allows audio sound to connect to that wire which connects to the combo port on my laptop, so my laptop can pick up that sound as if I was speaking into a microphone. 3) If I used a combination headset with a microphone attachment. That's the only three ways my computer will get sound when I've turned "off" the laptops internal microphones.

With that in mind, please understand that sometimes I have been successful at getting Audacity to pick up the audio sound from my portable player which travels down the wire connected to the headphone jack on the portable player to the splitter wire to the combo port on my laptop. When this works I am thrilled because I'm more than halfway home for what I ultimate am trying to do. However, even with that setup (just explained), my computer will not pick up the sound from the portable player as evidenced by the Audacity track not being created. What it does do is pick up the sound of my voice. But I am not speaking into a microphone. And the microphone settings have been turned "off" in my computer. Duh! I am baffled by this! I have no idea what is causing this to happen.

So, I tried calling Hp tech support, who eventually connected me to their Smart Friend (pay for) service, which I did not buy into. However, I did get a brief amount of insight into what to ask when I research the answer to this problem on my own. I was thankful for being told some things to ask about when doing my own research. I was told to Google: How to turn cassettes into CD's? I've done this already both on Google and YouTube, and it is how I found out about this Five Star program called Audacity. I was told to ask: How to prioritize where my computer gets its audio input from? I've tried doing asking that online, but haven't found anything helpful to this point in time. And I've also asked this on YouTube.

What I have gotten to understand is how to get to my Sound window controls. Now, under the recording tab of the Sound window, there shows only one option and it is: Microphone Array, Conexant ISST Audio, default device. Now, to the best of my knowledge, there is no way to add another option in the Sound window recording tab. So, figuring out how to prioritize where my computer picks up or receives its audio input is impossible.

All I am trying to do is get the audio off of a cassette of 60 or 90 minutes into Audacity, so I can create a digital file and transfer it to a CD-R. That's all I want to be able to accomplish.

There must be some kind of a way that I can tell my laptop computer, which again is using Windows 10 Home Ed, to only pick up audio being input through the combo port via the wires that I'm using (described above and previously). There's got to be a way to stop my laptop from ignoring the audio signal coming into the combo port from the wires connected to my portable player and picking up my voice, when I'm not even speaking into a microphone and I've shut "off" the microphone in settings for all applications. There's got to be a way to do this. And, by the way, I've made sure that the 3.5 male plug connected to the splitter wire is seated properly in the combo port on my laptop computer.

Also, there is no way on my laptop computer that I can get audio sound into my computer using a USB port. I've inquired at Hp about this possibility. And they told me that the only purpose of the USB ports on my computer were to supply power to external devices. That these USB ports are not set up to receive audio coming into my laptop computer. They told me the only way to get audio input into my computer is via the combo port (described clearly above).

Also, regarding the Windows Media Player suggested above, there is no Windows Media Player for Windows 10 Home Ed. Windows Media Player is exclusively for Window XP systems. So, although I used to like the Windows Media Player on my now donated old computer, it is no longer available for Windows 10 Home Ed. So, thanks for suggesting that, but it is not what I am trying to do anyway. I am not trying to rip music off a cd.

Also, attempting to setting priority for Audacity to Above Normal was also not possible on my Windows 10 Home Ed.

I am going to review the Frequently Asked Questions again, but when I did so in the past I did not find any answers to what I've discussed in this post.
Tonkda

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:15 pm

Picking up the sound at some times as one channel only but at other times picking up your voice could be symptomatic of the wrong jack plug. Combo ports are almost always TRRS, not TRS.

"Microphone array" sounds like the internal microphone. You can use Windows Sound (Recording tab) to see if you can enable the combo port as an external microphone.

As we have told you before, you do not have the proper port on the computer to record cassettes. You need a USB audio device that can take the connection from your cassette player in stereo without distortion. I refuse to believe HP's assertion that the USB ports cannot be used for an audio device, unless they are only micro USB ports. What is the model number of this HP computer?

Consumer editions of Windows 10 do have Windows Media Player. See How to locate and open Windows Media Player in Windows 10.

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Next

Return to Windows