Stereo recording [SOLVED]

Hello,
I use Audacity 2.1.3
I am trying to make a stereo recording of my vinyl records but i get a two tracks mono recording.
On my screen i can see that two identical tracks are being recorded, at the playback it sounds like only one channel has been recorded on two tracks.
While recording i hear the music in stereo but the playback is mono.
I have tried different ways to plug my cables but i always get a mono recording at the playback.

Please tell us how your turntable is connected to your computer. What you’re describing is “hard” to do digitally, so I assume there’s something wrong with the analog connection. (That is, it’s hard to do accidently or while recording.)

On my screen i can see that two identical tracks are being recorded, at the playback it sounds like only one channel has been recorded on two tracks.

Are you losing the “center”? (Typically the lead vocals & bass are common to the left & right.)

Are you listening to the computer while recording, or through a separate analog setup/connection?

Hello,
My English is approximate but i will do my best to describe my installation. My PC run on Windows 8.
The output of my turntable are connected to a Berhringer phono pre-amp via the input outlet. The output of the pre-amp are connected to the ‘line in’ (blue) of my PC.
The USB cable of the pre-amp is connected to a USB outlet on my PC.

It is hard to tell if i am missing the center, it is more one of the channel i am missing at the playback.

I am listening the playback through a headphone plugged on my PC.

Please try the most obvious solution first, setting the phono preamp to stereo in Windows:
FAQ:Recording - How To's - Audacity Manual .

Gale

Hello DVDdough,

I have check the Windows properties at the lower right of the screen and the ‘line in’ was set to 'canal 2, 16 bits 48000hz (qualité DVD).
Then i have checked the Audacity preferences section and i did set the recording device to be the ‘line in’ and i made a new recording test.
It works fine now, the playback is in gorgeous stereo.
Thanks a lot DVDdough.

Hello Gale Andrews,

Thanks a lot for your help.

Clément Grenier, Québec, Canada

I will mark this as {SOLVED] then and lock the topic. Thanks.

Gale