Cannot import audio from MP3 files

Windows 10, Audacity 2.1.3, I downloaded installer

When I open Audacity and click FIle > Import > Audio, then choose an MP3 file from the flash drive it resides on, it appears to be importing but at the end I don’t see any waveform.

I had previously copied the file from the flash to my hard drive, tried opening from both places with the same results.

This morning I deleted Audacity 2.0.0 and downloaded 2.1.3, I printed a log after that, which shows may messages of things that “couldn’t be removed–access denied”, and “failed to load shared library–modules that couldn’t be found.”

Can you help?

Do you remember passing a segment of the installer that invited you to reset preferences and settings? Did you do that?

Koz

Does the file play in Media Player – or anything else?

Koz

Files don’t play in Media Player. The two on the flash drive that I HAVE been able to open and edit do play in the Media Player just fine.

Installing happened automatically, I don’t know anything about resetting preferences and settings.

The files show up on the drive as being about 98M in size, so we’re assuming they did record. Is there any way to determine whether the files actually recorded? One very important file is a little over 200M in size.

Thanks for the suggestions so far!

See FAQ:Installation, Startup and Plugins - Audacity Manual.

I think you will probably have to assume the bad files are corrupt, perhaps with faulty headers.

Download “MediaInfo” from MediaInfo - Download MediaInfo for Microsoft Windows. Get the version without installer, because the installer may have malware or adware. Show us the MediaInfo text output for a good MP3 file that plays, and for a bad file that doesn’t play, if MediaInfo opens fhe file.

There are also utilities you can download onlline to attempt repair of corrupt MP3s, such as MP3val or MP3diags.

Gale