Looking for consultant

Hi, I looked at the tutorials, but without understanding much computer lingo, i haven’t gotten very far. I’m looking for a human who can get me started with this. Someone i can ask a simple question like, “What is a sound card driver?” and when it is explained, be able to ask the other questions that their explanation brings up! It may be annoying to someone to deal with a person as ignorant about computers as i am. so i’m willing to pay for it! I just want to download music from vinyl or the internet into iTunes. Nothing all that complicated. You should be able to get that through my thick head in an hour i would think, and i would be very grateful to you. I have Windows 10 and have installed the latest version of Audacity. If yoiu want to contact me off list, use my log in name at gmail and we can correspond through email. seriously, very grateful.
John :slight_smile:

We don’t do that, nor do we have time to.

Also you need copyright holders’ permission before you can record music from the internet.

I suspect you are just panicking at the unknown. You can answer what a sound card driver is by using your favourite search engine (Google, Bing and so on). iTunes is a complex application so if you have mastered that, you shouldn’t have too much problem. Best thing is to make a start, then ask when you get stuck.

But if you are sure you want to pay money, I recommend you look in your local phone book for computer assistance, then point them to http://manual.audacityteam.org/.

Gale

There are unofficial Audacity tutorials on YouTube.

Which are really not recommended unless you find it hard to assimilate text. Most YouTube tutorials don’t say what version of Audacity they are using (some are using old 1.2 versions of Audacity), and some are just plain incorrect or misleading.

Gale

A user-to-user forum like this is often BETTER than paid technical support, unless you get someone to make an in-person service call to set everything up and show you what to do. But then if it turns-out that you need additional equipment, he might need to make a 2nd service call.

You can also find people/companies who will digitize your vinyl for a fee.

…Audio recording and editing can be a little difficult to learn because you need to learn new concepts & terminology, and how to use a new application.

I just want to download music from vinyl or the internet into iTunes.

Let’s start with the jargon - We “record” or “digitize” vinyl, and we “record” or “capture” streaming audio over the Internet. We “rip” CDs when we make MP3s or other computer files from an audio CD. (Some people talk about “ripping” vinyl, but I’d say that’s not correct.)

You can download MP3s from Amazon, or AAC files from iTunes, etc., but I assume you want to record the streaming audio.

Internet - Recording streaming audio with Windows 10 is usually easy (unless something goes wrong :wink: ) by selecting [u]WASAPI (loopback)[/u]. This is “different” from other computer recording because we’re recording/capturing what’s coming out of the computer’s speakers (actually the signal being sent to the computer speakers) rather than what’s coming into the computer.

Vinyl - The setup for recording vinyl depends on what kind of turntable/analog set-up you have. Turntables need a phono-preamp, which may already be built into the equipment you have. If you have a laptop, it probably only has a mono-microphone input and headphone-output. To record from a stereo line-level or (headphone-level) output you need a desktop/tower computer with a regular soundcard, or you’ll need an external USB audio interface for your laptop. Of course if you have a newer turntable with a USB port, you’re ready to go!

Please tell us about your turntable/stereo and tell us what computer you have.

\

After your recording is done, you’ll want to export to WAV, MP3, etc. (The saved Audacity AUP project file is a special file for Audacity only.) You’ll need the optional LAME MP3 encoder if you want to make MP3s. iTunes can also make AAC or MP3 files from WAV files.

You’ll need to do a little editing to make individual song files, and you can do LOTs of editing/processing if you want to clean-up the vinyl recordings and remove the “snap”, “crackle”, and “pop”. Audacity can do some of that or there are specialized applications, but you rarely get “digital quality” from digitized vinyl.

Another thing that can be tricky is copying the album artwork. Sometimes you can download the artwork from the Internet, and iTunes will do it automatically if it finds the recording in the iTunes database. An album is too large for a regular scanner but there are “photo stitching” applications (designed for making panoramic photos) that can re-assemble partial-scans of the album.

Thanks for all this. It will take quite some time to get it, but it looks like it’s the only way. the turntable has a usb jack all set up for it, i just have to focus.

An official Audacity channel on YouTube would be a good idea.
Some (most?) instructions are more quickly understood by an audio-visual demonstration, rather than via text description.
Paul-L(icameli), of DeClicker fame, does good YouTube, see … https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5ErzybkrGc,
(he could do voice-over-work as a sideline).

So this is the help document to refer to: Recording with USB turntables or USB cassette decks - Audacity Manual.

Gale

Indeed he is good at that but he has other things to do too.

Fundamentally we don’t have the resources to make and remake Audacity videos or to promote them above your average YouTube video about Audacity that we have never vetted to say if it’s good or bad.

As an example, suppose we had ten official Audacity videos. 2.2.0 alpha-is getting a heavy make over of the menu structure. So for 2.2.0 release, we have to remake all ten videos.

Gale

Maybe he could just outline his workflow for creating Audacity YouTubes, (e.g. the screen-capture software he uses),
which others could follow.

Clear (and free) text-to-speech software could provide consistent voice-overs, even if the videos are made by different people.

If the instructional YouTubes were monetized they could earn income.
Some unofficial Audacity YouTubes get 50K views per year : that’s at least $100 per year.

Stressing the official nature of any YouTube channel could sway viewers away from the unofficial ones.

I agree users might like our videos. But as I say, we do not have time to remake videos every time a relevant part of the interface changes. Monetized videos seem out of control at the moment, even turning up ads for ISIS and other terrorist organisations.

Gale