2.1.3 and "Program Files(x86)" (2.1.2 clash) [SOLVED]

I’ve had a look but couldn’t find an answer.

I’m very excited with the new 2.1.3 version - the “pinned” timeline by itself is worth the price of admission.

I’m confused, however, with the Plugin Manager list of plugins on 2.1.3

It looks like 2.1.3 is expected to be installed in “Program Files(x86)” … AND… it’s expecting to find plugins from the install directory of 2.1.2 (“Program Files/Audacity”).

Yes, I did have 2.1.2 installed there but want to remove it totally so I only have one install in one place, and the Plugin Manager shows an accurate list of what plugins are installed.

Is there a way of editing the list of plugins (not just disabling) and getting it to regenerate the plugin list?
Is it ok remove 2.1.2 and install 2.1.3 in “Program Files” (not “Program Files(x86”)?

Thanks
Barry

PS: on my Windows10 install, 2.1.2 went into “Program Files” while 2.1.3 went into “Program Files (x86)”.

Normally you would install the new Audacity version over the old. In that case the location of Audacity plugins is the same and you will see no duplicate plugins.

On a 64-bit computer, 32-bit applications like Audacity should be installed in Program Files (x86).

After uninstalling 2.1.2, exit 2.1.3, go to Users<username>\AppData\Roaming\Audacity\ and delete pluginregistry.cfg. If you don’t see that folder, type:

%appdata%\audacity

or

shell:appdata\audacity

into the Explorer address bar then press ENTER on your keyboard.

Gale

:slight_smile:

I’ve let the developer who wrote that code (Paul Licameli) know how pleased you are with it. :sunglasses:

WC

Please do. In fact all the contributors have done a great job.

I come to Audacity as a n00B of only a couple of weeks, as a live sound engineer of decades, and understaing spectral analyisis and waveform manipulation (from the days of analog synths) returning to recording from the days of magnetic tape…

… and the features and flexibility Audacity provides are a huge happy surprise. And it’s an open source project. The developers and contributors should feel proud of their efforts. I’m certainly impressed, and grateful.

And grateful for the help from forum contributors as well to solve problems so we can “keep on keeping on”.
(that “cfg” file … ah ha! Mystery managed… cheers)

Thanks to all.

Hi Barry,

thanks for the feedback.

Because I swap around my configurations a lot while QA testing I make that problem a little easier by keeping a shortcut to the folder that contains the audacity.cfg and other config stuff on my desktop.

I also keep a stored copy of my production audacity.cfg on the desktop so I can easily restore it just by dragging a copy in the configuration folder.

WC