Little sound from left speaker

When I record from an LP to computer the right channel records perfectly but the left channel is almost inaudible. I have tried all the things advised in the manual but to no avail. Can anyone help ?

How is your turntable attached to your computer?

What things have you tried exactly?

Gale

If you’ve got an analog connection in your set-up, try swapping the left & right RCA connectors. If the problem switches-sides (so the left channel now works) that proves the computer is working. If the problem stays on the same side, the analog part of your turntable is working and you’ve got a problem with the computer.

If you’ve got a turntable with a USB port, try connecting the turntable’s analog outputs to your stereo, or to your “powered” computer speakers, or something else to test the analog part of your turntable. (If only one analog channel works, that proves you turntable is broken.)

Did something go wrong with that post?

Do not know what went wrong ! I typed in my reply but obviously it did not go through. Anyway, here goes again.

I did have version 1.0 but downloaded the latest version the other day.

Firstly, thanks for responding to my plea. All I want the Audacity unit to do is record my 123 old LPs to the computer.

There is minimal sound from the left speaker when I record in stereo and it is the same for mono. The recording devices are MME, and MS Sound Mapper output and MS Sound Mapper Input. I selected “Software Playthrough” and the recording volumes are: recording - 0.51 and playback - 0.43. I did have version 1.0 but downloaded the latest version. All other settings are what came with

I am not a computer person but have managed to solve problems before but this one has stumped me. Can you help ?

How is your turntable attached to your computer?

What are you referring to there? For Audacity, you should have version 2.1.3 from Audacity ® | Download for Windows.

Sound Mapper is whatever the default Windows recording and playback devices are. You want to choose the explicitly named recording device that relates to the turntable. If you are able to tell us how the turntable connects to the computer (black plug into mic port, or USB cable, for example), we can tell you which recording device to choose.

If you not able to tell us then we can’t help you because choosing the correct recording device is the fundamental part.

Gale

Hi Gale. My Audacity unit is attached via an USB cable.

Does the turntable have red and white cables? If so, do what Doug suggested:

If you’ve got a turntable with a USB port, try connecting the turntable’s analog outputs to your stereo, or to your “powered” computer speakers, or something else to test the analog part of your turntable. (If only one analog channel works, that proves you turntable is broken.)

If you hear both channels in your speakers then you try recording via USB.

1. Exit Audacity
  2. Open Windows Sound and look on the Recording tab to see if USB Audio CODEC or similar name (it could even be called USB Microphone) is listed. If it is, play a record and see if the green meter for the turntable bounces in Windows Sound. If it bounces, go to step 6.
  3. If the USB CODEC is missing or the meter does not bounce, unplug all other USB devices, then use the “Safely Remove Hardware” icon in the System Tray and wait for Windows to tell you it is OK to disconnect the device. When Windows is ready, remove the USB cable from your device and switch off your recording device at the mains.
  4. Plug the recording device into a spare USB port (not a USB hub), and switch it on.
  5. Wait a few minutes then completely shut down the computer and restart it.
  6. Launch Audacity and in Device Toolbar, choose for Recording Device whatever Windows Sound says is the name of the turntable. Choose your computer speakers as playback device.

What does recording sound like now?

Gale

I could not find USB Audio CODEC or anything resembling that under the Recording tab. I did a search on the internet and found that a lot of other users also do not have it, as well.

Anyway, I started to follow your instructions but was a bit hesitant to apply No 3. I did not understand what was to happen here and left it until I knew more. Can you please tell me what No 3 is about ? Sorry, but I am 72, came to computers pretty late and do not have the daring approach that youngsters have with computers.

Not prepared to go any further I thought I would Googled USB Audio CODEC and learnt that a whole lot of other people also do not have it. ???

If you do not see USB Audio CODEC or at least USB “something” when the turntable is plugged in at the mains, switched on and its USB cable connected to the computer, then you must try step 3. If you like, you can try simply using a different USB cable or different USB port on the computer, and see if that is enough to make the USB device appear on the Recording tab of Windows Sound. It is not the best way to get a stubborn item to be recognised by Windows.

Does this turntable have red and white cables for connecting to other equipment?

Gale

Thanks Gale. I will try plugging the unit into the other ports and if that does not work I will have a go at No3. Online many sites offered a download of USB Audio CODEC - is this a feasible option ?

Or try another USB cable, assuming the cable is detachable from the turntable.

No. You may harm your computer and have to reinstall Windows if you download USB codecs from an advertisement.

Almost all USB turntables just use the USB Audio Class drivers that already come with Windows. If your turntable really needs special drivers, they will have been on a CD that came with the turntable, or should be downloaded from the turntable manufacturer’s web site.

Gale

the right channel records perfectly but the left channel…

…I could not find USB Audio CODEC or anything resembling that under the Recording tab.

Something doesn’t make sense - If Windows (and Audacity) can’t find the USB connection you wouldn’t be able to record from the turntable at all.

mickfr is recording from Sound Mapper - Input, so probably from the internal mic.

Gale

I could not find USB Audio CODEC on the computer either. Also, when I started doing No 3 of your procedure I could not find the “Safely Remove Hardware” icon in the taskbar or anywhere else on the computer, and was unable to complete any of the “fixes” offered online.

My computer is an Acer Aspire 5740G and It’s about eight years old so I suppose that’s about 98 in human terms. I don’t think that would be a factor because the original turntable recorded perfectly (Original unit had a stiffness in the tone arm which meant I could not record the last track on each record so they gave me a new unit).

I tried another USB cable unsuccessfully.

The turntable has MME as its audio host, Microphone Realtek High Definition as the recording device and Speakers Realtek High Definition as the playback device.

I saw many sites online that offered downloads of USB Audio CODEC - would this be a viable option ?

Click on the upwards arrow “Show hidden icons” which is the leftmost of all the icons that are by the system clock (so just to right of the taskbar icons).

So have them give you another unit?

I will repeat my answer to that:

Gale

I have just recalled that, about a year ago, I got a lady in to check the computer and fix anything that needs fixing. She said that as the computer was at least eight years old it had seen better days and would probably get worse as it gets older. It seems to me that some of the things that have gone wrong with this computer have probably contributed to, or even caused the situation I have now. So, being the secretary of as local art group and, this being their computer, I suggested we need to update and I have been given the OK to get a new one. Hopefully my problem will disappear with the advent of the new laptop.

Thanks so much for your help.