VST_PATH Audacity 2.1.3

Hi,

I use Audacity 2.1.3 with VSTs on Windows 10 and I wonder if the behaviour stated in wiki for VST lookup is correct.
(http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/installing_effect_generator_and_analyzer_plug_ins_on_windows.html#vst_install)

Indeed, I prefer to use a VST_PATH system environment variable. However, when configured Audacity doesn’t find the VSTs.

But it’s ok with registry and Steinberg directory.

Regards,
AF.

Hi,

I think I found the issue.
In the code of VSTEffect.cpp

The tokenizer at line 354 should be turned into:

wxStringTokenizer tok(vstpath, ";");

//with the ";" delimiter

Hello,

Any chance to include this fix in master ?
Alternatively how can I submit a patch ?

To submit patches yourself, there are two ways:

or, the easiest way for small patches - just tell us about it here on the forum (as you have done), and we will forward it to the developer’s mailing list (which I shall do now).
Thanks

Rather a late reply, but this is logged on the Audacity bug tracker as bug 2723.

Hi,
No problem :slight_smile:
Here is a little code variant that I use for recent Audacity version:

#if defined(__WXMSW__)
	   wxStringTokenizer tok(vstpath,";");
#else
	   wxStringTokenizer tok(vstpath);
#endif

It is inserted in VSTEfect.cpp after these lines, around line 400:

if (!vstpath.empty())
   {

If you have a GitHub account, perhaps I could encourage you to post a pull request with this fix.
The Audacity GitHub repository is here: https://github.com/audacity/audacity

There’s due to be a bug-fix release (Audacity 3.0.1) very soon, so I think it would be nice to get this fix in quickly.

Hi Steve,

I just begin to prepare the PR and so I sync the master.
I guess a fix has just been included as I see the following code in VSTEffect.cpp (line 405):

wxStringTokenizer tok(vstpath, wxPATH_SEP);

The history confirms this.

Regards.

A fix for this has been made by ob eor the developers
https://bugzilla.audacityteam.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2723

I, personally, have no idea of how to test this - way above my nerd-level :confused: :unamused:

@arnaudf94: if you would be interested in testing this please PM me and I can tell you where to find an alpha build with this fix.

Otherwise it’s a case of waiting for 3.0.1 and seeing then if it works for you.

Peter.

Hi,

I sent a PM.

However here are possible steps for a test :

- Install a vanilla version of Audacity (and/or delete or move pluginregistry.cfg)
- Make sure there is no VST reg keys : HKCU\\Software\\VST\\VSTPluginsPath and HKLM\\Software\\VST\\VSTPluginsPath
- Make sure plugins dir has no VST plugin inside : Users\\<username>\\AppData\\Roaming\\audacity\\Plug-Ins
- Install a VST plugin in (for example) : C:\Program Files (x86)\VSTPlugIns
- Set VST_PATH environment variable through GUI or command setx VST_PATH "C:\Program Files (x86)\VSTPlugIns"
- Start Audacity. The plugin should now appear in Effect/Add-Remove plugins

Edit : I currently run a custom version version of Audacity that include ASIO and "my" VST fix.

Thanks, I saw that :sunglasses:

So this fix should be OK in the upcoming 3.0.1

Peter.

You’re welcomed.
Have a nice evening as well as Audacity team.