BEST FORMAT FROM AUD TO PLAY IN BOOMBOX?

I’m using Windows 7 trying to burn an audio voice and music file (merged) to play in our boombox which is plugged into our telephone system to play an “on hold message.” What format is needed for this? I’ve used wav, wma, mp3, and aup. Nothing seems to be working.

What’s not working? Does your boombox play the files?
“AUP” will not work because they are not audio files (see: Managing Audacity Projects - Audacity Manual)

we’ve replace the boombox, thinking that was the problem. none of the files (previously listed formats used on separate CDs) will play in the boombox. i’ve check the manufacturer’s specs and requirements and can find nothing that states why the file formats won’t play. I’m assuming the problem originates with the original mix made in audacity but i’m not sure how to correct the problem. i know that i can’t burn as a .cda file but i’m having problems with the recording as it stands. all CDs will play in other computers so i know the file has been properly recorded on the CD itself.

This is nothing to do with general audio programming so I moved the topic to the correct Windows board.

Gale

Do you want to burn an audio CD from the content you have in Audacity?

If so, export as stereo WAV, 44100 Hz and tell the CD burner to burn an “audio CD” or “music CD”. See Tutorial - Burning music files to a CD.

Gale

to play in our boombox

What boombox? My (old) boombox plays regular CDs & cassette tapes, and it has a radio… Mine doesn’t play MP3s or any “computer files”. Does yours have a USB port or something?

i know that i can’t burn as a .cda file but i’m having problems with the recording as it stands.

What problems? Do you mean problems on the boombox or on the computer?

all CDs will play in other computers so i know the file has been properly recorded on the CD itself.

Computers can play virtually any audio/video format (with the right software). Audio CD players usually only play audio CDs. DVD & Blu-Ray players can often play lots of non-standard formats, but they are only required to play standards-compliant discs.

Problem solved. thank you.

The boombox is a Memorex stereo/CD player. I burned the file in several formats on different CDs originally because the recording wouldn’t work in the boombox. After much trial and error (and repeatedly following the instruction in the Audacity Manual), I was able to find the file and disc combo that would work. I’m not sure why this wouldn’t work in the stereo originally as the final working disc is in a previously tried format. At any rate, it works in the stereo as a .wav file exported from Audacity. Now I have a dozen discs with corrupt (for lack of a better word) recordings that I’m going to make arts and crafts from! UGH!

The difference is probably burning as an audio CD or music CD. Your computer wlll play a CD that has WAV files on it but your boombox or some other CD player that is separate from the computer will not. They want a music CD - those only appear to contain small .cda files if you look at the CD in your computer.

Gale