audio fluctuation in a tape cassette

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.

• Please state which version of Windows you are using, the exact three-section version of Audacity from Help > About Audacity and whether you obtained the .exe installer or the zip.

• Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
    The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

audio fluctuation in a tape cassette

Permanent link to this post Posted by kuperman » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:42 pm

cassette.png
fluctuations wave form
cassette.png (124.4 KiB) Viewed 99 times
Hi,
I recorded a tape cassette. Now the problem is that the tape is old, and the audio is fluctuating in volume. 2 seconds normal, 2 seconds lower volume.
Is there any way I can automatically (more or less) fix it thorough out the whole recording?
I attach a sample of the wave form of this recording.
Thanks!
Last edited by Gale Andrews on Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed typo in topic title
kuperman

Operating System: Windows 10

Re: audio fluctuation in a tape cassette

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:28 pm

You could click in the name of the track, Split Stereo Track, then try Compressor or Limiter on the Left channel. But it would be better if we could hear a sample in case there is more wrong than just volume. See How to post an audio sample.

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Re: audio fluctuation in a tape cassette

Permanent link to this post Posted by kuperman » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:52 pm

Here is a short sample. Most of the cassette is talking but you can hear the fluctuations best in the song.
Attachments
sample.wav
(1.55 MiB) Downloaded 10 times
kuperman

Return to Windows