Tranferring voice mails

I am trying to record my voice mails from my phone onto my computer because I am switching carriers. I plugged my phone into my computer with a mini cable, hit record and then hit play on the visual voicemail. It looks like it’s recording on Audacity but there is no sound…can someone please help me. I really need to get all of these voice mails transferred. Thanks!

Are you getting tall blue waves when recording? If so and you want to hear while recording, enable Transport > Software Playthrough.

If recording is a flat line, choose the correct external mic as recording device in Audacity’s Device Toolbar.

There are usually ways to transfer your voicemails from phone to computer without recording them. It depends on the phone and the operating system it uses. Using your favourite search engine should bring up ways to do this.

Gale

trying to preserve voicemail messages from deceased folks, when I press ‘record’ in audacity, get error message:
“Error while opening sound device. Please check the input device settings and the project sample rate.”

any ideas?

windows 10, audacity 2.0.3, moto Droid Play plugged directly into audio input on computer case.

Thanks!
Kim

Please see here in the FAQ: http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/faq_errors.html#sound_device