How to search for files

Windows 7 Pro

when i go to open a new file i dont see anyway to search for the file i want. is there a way?

If you click in the “Look in” box at the top, you can navigate through a tree of the file structure on your computer.

Otherwise, Audacity does not have a search box in its “file open” dialogue. Do you want to “vote” for that suggestion?

Gale

yes, without it i can not find my files. thanks

If you must have search you can find it in an obsolete 1.3.5 Beta version of Audacity from http://www.oldfoss.com/Audacity.html. But you may have lots of other problems and bugs in that version and we can’t help you with it here.

Really, it would be better to search in Windows Explorer then drag the found file(s) into Audacity.

I “think” though that the reason we dropped the newer Windows file open dialogue with search was that at that time we still supported Windows 98 and 2000, on which systems the newer dialogue did not work correctly. So it may be worth us looking at it again.

I added your “vote” on http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Feature_Requests.

Gale

oh, that works, big help. thanks!!

upps but it doesnt remember where it was imported from so then i have to go all though the trouble of finding where to save it. has to be in original location because music player is linked to it. what i need to do a lot of is editing music files from my music player that are linked to MY MUsic Library folders. doesnt everyone need to do this? without the search i would have to remember or write down which folder each track is in and then manually hunt it up in order to export (save changes) is there an easier way? thanks

Audacity remembers where it imported from but it does not open the Export dialogue at that location, only at the last directory it exported to. A workaround would be to put all the files you want to import in the same folder.

If you want, we can add your vote for a preference to export to the directory from which the original AUP file or audio file came from. Yes, this is an important missing feature which is logged on our issue tracker.

Gale

yes please add it. i dont think i can move all files to the same directory because they are linked to the music player program. maybe there is a way but i don’t understand how. for now i am remembering it and then searching it out. thanks,

I added your vote.

Thanks

Gale

Audacity remembers where it imported from but it does not open the Export dialogue at that location, only at the last directory it exported to. A workaround would be to put all the files you want to import in the same folder.

If you want, we can add your vote for a preference to export to the directory from which the original AUP file or audio file came from. Yes, this is an important missing feature which is logged on our issue tracker.

Can you add my vote to this preference feature. It would be great and much more secure to be able to save or export an audio file to the directory it came from at open or import time rather than to the last export directory used.

Certainly can.
Done.

Thanks a lot.