Pre Amp Vinyl

Since uploading 2.1.1 Audacity, my pre amp vinyl (Terratec) does not show in the recording device section. I cannot get my audacity to record now. The only choices are :
Microphone - PRIMARY SOUNDCAPTURE or REALTEK
Speakers - As above

I am using ASUS Windows 8 laptop.

How do I connect and get my pre amp to be recognised?

Thanks

Normally you should connect USB devices before you start Audacity. If Audacity is already running when you attach the USB audio device, you will need to “Rescan Audio Devices” (in the Transport menu).

In the device toolbar, set the “host” to MME. The USB device should then be available as a recording device.

Thanks for your quick response but I’ve tried Re scan and I only plug in the USB before launching Audacity. It used to give me a choice in the drop down to click onto PREAMP VINYL but since 2.1.1, it doesn’t show.

Any further help?

I’ve deleted and re installed twice but no luck!

Have a look in the Windows Sound Control Panel and check that the device is recognised by Windows and enabled.

when is some one going to invent a turntable that doesn’t need a pre amp!!? it would save us all a lot of trouble-mickthefish :imp:

There are plenty of turntables on the market that have a pre-amp built in and deliver a linel-level output with RIAA EQ applied - most, if not all, of te various USB decks on the market do this :sunglasses:

WC

when is some one going to invent a turntable that doesn’t need a pre amp!!? it would save us all a lot of trouble-mickthefish

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: And, maybe they could make it digital, and make the discs smaller… :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Back in the vinyl days it was no trouble because (almost) every receiver had a phono preamp built-in. In those days it made sense to keep all of the electronics together, separate from the mechanics. A receiver already has a DC power supply and one or more circuit boards, so you can just make the circuit board a little bigger and add a few components, and you’ve got a preamp. And as a rule, turntable manufacturers were not electronics manufacturers.

[u]This page[/u] lists LOTs of turntables with USB & line outputs.

Hehe :laughing:

Back in the vinyl days it was no trouble because (almost) every receiver had a phono preamp built-in. In those days it made sense to keep all of the electronics together, separate from the mechanics. A receiver already has a DC power supply and one or more circuit boards, so you can just make the circuit board a little bigger and add a few components, and you’ve got a preamp. And as a rule, turntable manufacturers were not electronics manufacturers.

But they knew how to make a REAL turntable.

[u]This page[/u] > lists LOTs of turntables with USB & line outputs.

And most of these are junk. Besides, the info on that page is a bit… How shall I put it? Wrong?

Some USB turntables only include a program called Audacity. The manufacturer isn’t doing you any favors. Audacity is difficult to learn and is missing several key features that make vinyl ripping easier, such as CD burning and including looking up album information on the Internet.

Who needs CD burning when every OS on the planet has it built-in since many years?
And looking up vinyl track titles will be a very mixed bag. Who are they fooling?

Besides, most of these included programs suck bigtime, if they even run at all. And which of those do effective de-noising? Not one, I bet.

After looking through that page, I can’t shake the feeling they’re being sponsored by USB TT makers. Ah, yes, they do include sales links to a couple of decent, but overpriced real turntables. Technics SL1200, good table, but waaaaay too expensive. Denon, not bad, also not really affordable, Thorens, also quite overpriced and… Pro-ject. The same TT is available under at least five different brands, all a lot cheaper. How about NAD, Onkyo, AT or Rega? I mean, the Audio Technica AT-LP120-USB has it all, including a decent price tag.

WHO NEEDS CDs ANYWAY NOW WE’VE GOT HARD DRIVES ?.CDs ARE FINISHED!!!. :roll:PS-& DVDs

CDs bounce better if you drop them :smiley:
Most likely it’ll only break the case, but worst case scenario, even if it smashes into tiny pieces, that’s only one album that’s lost :wink:

Buy ANOTHER HARD DRIVE & BACK UP-- THEY’RE CHEAP ENOUGH NOW.
think about it,Never hunting for CDs again…high tech heaven!.I just stick my external HD into my TV & choose from my thousands of AUDACITY WAV songs.mickthefish. :wink:

i prefer to save all my audacity music files to hard drive in WAV format.i can always change them to tinny old mp3 to download to my smart phone if need be.and another thing have you noticed how the volume drops off when the batteries are low on smartphones? why not use the audacity AMPLIFY setting to boost the odd file that’s to low? a slight clipping doesn’t matter with mp3.PS Steve—hard drive space comes at a premium now.mickthefish.