PCM/16bit/8Khz/Mono

Good Morning

We’ve recently migrated to Microsofts Unified Messaging on Windows 7 and at the moment I’m playing around with its Auto Attendant application. I’ve recorded prompts and greetings in Audacity but when trying to bring them into AA I get an error saying “'File needs to be in PCM/16bit/8Khz/Mono format”. I’ve looked at some of the posts on here and followed the advice regarding usption the various options of setting the format to WAV(microsoft) and selecting the ULaw encoding but sadly it still doesn’t work. Any ideas please?

Perhaps your recording is not at 8 kHz sample rate?
The exported file is always at the same sample rate as the “Project Rate” (lower left corner of the main Audacity window). Set the Project Rate to 8000 before you export.

Thanks for the sugguestion. I’ve just tried this and sadly it still doesn’t work, I still get this error " Microsoft Exchange Error
The following error(s) occurred while saving changes:
Error:
The file is not in the correct .wav format for custom greetings. The .wav format must be ‘PCM/16bit/8Khz/Mono’."

Are Microsoft being to picky?

Pete

Could you export a very short test file, just a couple of seconds, and I’ll check to see if you really are exporting ‘PCM/16bit/8Khz/Mono’" or if there is an Audacity setting that you need to change. To add an attachment to your post, use “Upload attachment” below the message composing box.

you could try this one

This is the format information (as reported by MediaInfo):

General
Complete name                    : /home/steve/Desktop/Good Morning.wav
Format                           : Wave
File size                        : 46.6 KiB
Duration                         : 2s 976ms
Overall bit rate                 : 128 Kbps

Audio
ID                               : 0
Format                           : ADPCM
Format profile                   : U-Law
Codec ID                         : 7
Codec ID/Hint                    : CCITT
Duration                         : 2s 976ms
Bit rate mode                    : Constant
Bit rate                         : 128 Kbps
Channel(s)                       : 2 channels
Sampling rate                    : 8 000 Hz
Bit depth                        : 8 bits
Stream size                      : 46.5 KiB (100%)

Note: “Channel(s): 2 channels

You wanted mono.
Ensure that your project in Audacity is mono before you export. If you have any stereo tracks, use “Tracks menu > Stereo to Mono” to convert them to mono. The “Pan” sliders must also be at zero (centre) on all audio tracks (http://manual.audacityteam.org/o/man/audio_tracks.html#pan)

Note: “Bit depth: 8 bits
The subject of this topic says that you want 16 bit. Use the “WAV (Microsoft) signed 16 bit PCM” (the default export option).

Although I’ve followed all your suggestions, it still doesn’t work, in fact I get an additional error now: The .wav format of file C:WindowsTEMPae7fa8e0-cf79-4145-a3a5-f475b1d95e10.wav isn’t correct.

You get that error from what program?
Why are you trying to open a file that is in the Windows TEMP directory?

The error appears when trying to bring in the recording to Exchange UM Auto Attendant. The error shows as soon as I try to commit the action. I didn’t realise it was being saved the the TEMP directory

Please note we cannot give support for Microsoft products.

Please see if either of the attached files is accepted by “Auto Attendant”. These files are as you request, except the WAVEX one has a different header.

If there is still a problem, seek help elsewhere such as here:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124902.aspx

or here (perhaps you need to start the UM server):
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchangesvrunifiedmessaging/thread/b45d51b8-7c4c-4d01-9ebe-651d276efca5 .

Gale

Thank You. I take it the recording is just you keying in DTMF tones in which case the wav file works but the wavex doesn’t. Thanks for all you help.

I did not want to convert the greeting you uploaded because you downsampled it to 8-bit depth by using U-Law encoding and I cannot recover that quality loss by re-encoding it in the required 16-bit. It would be better you re-recorded it or re-exported the version you already have in your Audacity project.

Good, so do you now know how to produce the required 8000 Hz, mono, 16-bit PCM file?

If the only way to resolve this is to convert the greeting you uploaded for you we will do it but you will have to accept any audible quality loss that there may be.

Gale