need "bell/gong"sound every 3 minutes in track

Hi and thanks for taking the time to read and offer help. I don’t think my request is a difficult one, except if you have ZERO knowledge as I do. Please explain as though I were 10 years old.

Currently using ver 2.0.3 and running Win7 32 bit if it matters.

MY project: join several shorter tracks together to make one long one for use in Reiki therapy sessions. I wish to have a "bell’ sound once every 3 minutes during the new longer track.

I can already put the tracks together with no problem, but am clueless about the bell. I have the perfect bell.wav picked out. It is about 6 seconds in duration, so I wish to have it sound along with the music instead of inserting it in place of each of those 6 second intervals.

I have tried searching FAQs & forum threads, but I think my very limited knowledge of subject and terminology is keeping me from finding the answer. Again, I thank you for taking the time to read and for any assistance you can offer.

If somebody had a gun and said I had to do this, I would open or Import the music or theatrical work on track one. Create a new second track underneath the first and put the bell on that. Select the bell sound plus 3 minutes of silence and Control-C copy. From there, it’s End > Paste > End > Paste > End > Paste. Three minutes and one bell per paste. It’s manual, but it’s really fast.

Once you make one of these really long, you can select the bell track, export it and use it over and over.

I know of no way to do it automatically.

Koz

Thank you!!! that was just what I needed and has worked perfectly.

Following your advice, I made a track of bell/silence chain to apply to the other dozen or so tracks I need to create.Plenty fast enough for my needs.

Namaste

A slightly more automated way:

1. Create a new second track underneath the first and put the bell on that.
  2. Select the bell sound plus 3 minutes of silence
  3. Effect menu > Repeat (about 3/4 of the way down the effect list) and set the number of repeats - the total duration will also be shown.

For a fully automated method, select the long track, then from the Effect menu choose the “Nyquist Prompt” effect, then copy and paste this code into the Nyquist Prompt text window and click the OK button:

(setq interval 3.0) ; interval between bell chimes in minutes
(setq level 0.8)    ; output level on a scale of 0 to 1

(defun bell (hz overtone dur)
  (abs-env
  (let* ((note (hz-to-step (- hz overtone)))
         (env (pwev 1 dur 0.00001))
         (tone (fmosc note 
                      (mult overtone 
                        (sum 1 (osc (* note 0.667) dur))))))
  (mult env tone))))

(defun add-bell (sig)
  (abs-env
    (let* ((out (bell 4400 447 3))
           (interval (* 60 interval)))
    (dotimes (i repeats)
      (setf out
        (sim out 
          (at-abs (* (1+ i) interval)(cue (bell 4400 447 3))))))
    (sim sig (mult level out)))))

(setq repeats (truncate (/ (get-duration 1)(* 60 interval))))
(multichan-expand #'add-bell s)

Note that the first two lines set the interval between bell chimes, and the level of the bell chime.
The first line could be edited (in NotePad or any other plain text editor) to set a different time between bell chimes, for example, for a 2 minute interval, change the first line to:
(setq interval 2.0)

The loudness of the bell can be changed by editing the second line - for example, to make the bell ring so that it is half the audio track height, change the second line to:
(setq level 0.5)

A slightly more automated way:

1. Create a new second track underneath the first and put the bell on that.
  2. Select the bell sound plus 3 minutes of silence
  3. Effect menu > Repeat (about 3/4 of the way down the effect list) and set the number of repeats - the total duration will also be shown.

Steve, thank you for your input as well. I am pleased with the end result on my new tracks and may use this tip to tackle my next batch.

Hi,
This is great and ALMOST helps me… I too have ZERO knowledge. I am a newbie fitness instructor.
I would like to add a couple different tones ( bell or ding or whatever) over different song points to cue me so I don’t lose track of where I am in the song and when to transition exercises.
If i add a second and third track…can I just put the sound where I want it to play over the main track, or do I have to add the appropriate lengths of silences in between?
Thanks!!!

You can use The Time Shift Tool to push a single Ding! to wherever you want it underneath the song, but I believe you can only do it once. If you need a second Ding! you would have to make a third track.
All the tracks will mix down into one song when you Export.

That’s why you build a track with Generate > Silence and Paste > Ding. You can do that multiple times on the bottom of two tracks.
If you need two different Ding! sounds, do it on two tracks. From the top: Main Song track, Ding1 track and Ding2 track.

The top track is fake music and the second track is fake Ding!.
Screen Shot 2018-01-12 at 18.59.43.png
Koz