Can't record from cassette player

I am using windows vista.
I am trying to record through output from a cassette player using the blue input jack. I have gone through all the remedies suggested in this forum. The audio device is neither recognized by the computer nor by the audacity when I select the record button. Even if I try using the microphone input, it is not recognized.
I do not encounter any trouble in recording using the microphone jack in my laptop with windows 7 as OS with the same cassette player.

It is better to start a new topic than attach to someone else’s topic, so I started this for you.

I suggest you try enabling the line-in in “Sound” in Windows if you have not already done so. it is better to say exactly what you have done so far, the more detail the better.

To enable line-in in Windows:

1. Make sure the line-in cable to the blue input fits tightly
  2. Right-click over the speaker icon in the System Tray > Recording Devices
  3. Right-click anywhere inside the Recording tab and choose “Show disabled devices” then right-click again and check “Show Disconnected Devices”
  4. Right-click specifically over the line-in, choose “Enable”
  5. Right-click once again over line-in, choose “Set as Default Device”
  6. Right-click once again over line-in, click Properties then the “Levels” tab and ensure the volume slider is turned up and unmuted
  7. Click OK
  8. Restart Audacity.

If line-in does not show in Windows, your audio drivers are probably incorrect. See here for help Missing features - Audacity Support .

Gale

Thank you Gale
The line-in is already showing in windows.
However, I have carried out all 8 of your instructions.
I am still getting the sane pop-up window after clicking the record button saying "Error while opening … …project sample rate.
Before posting my topic the recording started once only, never to start again. I have disconnected and re-connected the cable over and over again.

Please try all the steps here:
http://manual.audacityteam.org/o/man/faq_errors.html#sound_device .

Make sure you are selecting line-in as the input device in Audacity’s Device Toolbar .

Gale

Dear Gale
Thank you very much, but I am facing the same problem after going through all that the link suggested.

Please help by replying in your own topic rather than attaching replies to other people’s topics. I have moved your post back to this topic.

Does Windows sound recorder record?

Make sure line-in is default recording device in Windows Sound (step 5 here Can't record from cassette player - #2 by Gale_Andrews ).

Click the Windows globe. Type “sound recorder” (without quotes) in the search box. Double-click sound recorder when it appears in the search results. Play a cassette and press the Record button. Save as a WMA file. Did you record anything?

Gale

Yes it is recording

I have observed the following.
When I type “Sound Recording” in windows, it records from the cassette player.
When I try recording through Audacity from the same cassette player, I get the error window.
After closing Audacity NOW, if I try recording in windows, it does NOT record and I get information “An audio recording devise cannot be found”
Now, if I re-start the computer I can again record in windows.

After establishing that Sound Recorder records the cassette player, try choosing “Microsoft Sound Mapper - Input” in Audacity’s Device Toolbar.

I think your computer audio is broken. What is the make and model number of the computer? Is it a branded computer like Dell, Lenovo or HP?

Gale

It is DEL XPS 430

Did recording from “Sound Mapper - Input” work in Audacity after recording from Windows Media Player?

There don’t appear to be any audio drivers available for immediate download for XPS 430.

If I was you I would go to the Dell site http://www.dell.com/support/Diagnostics/ and let them do a diagnostic check on your computer.

If you are confident with computers you could also create a System Restore point ( http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/create-a-restore-point-for-windows-vistas-system-restore/ ) then open Device Manager from the Windows Control Panel. Click the little arrow by “Sound, video and game controllers”, right-click over your computer sound device and choose “Uninstall”. You may have an option checkbox to delete the drivers or similar. I would suggest not deleting the drivers. Just uninstall the sound device, reboot the computer then Windows will reinstall the audio drivers it had before.

If you were to delete the drivers, Windows would probably search the internet for audio drivers when it rebooted. Drivers from the internet may be less recommendable than the drivers your computer came with.

If the reinstallation of the drivers gives worse results than you have now, you can use System Restore to restore back to the Restore Point you created before uninstalling the sound device.

Gale