Can't record from cassette player

Help for Audacity 2.x on Windows.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x on Windows.

• Please state which version of Windows you are using, the exact three-section version of Audacity from Help > About Audacity and whether you obtained the .exe installer or the zip.

• Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade here. The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

Can't record from cassette player

Permanent link to this post Posted by bkbiswas » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:35 am

I am using windows vista.
I am trying to record through output from a cassette player using the blue input jack. I have gone through all the remedies suggested in this forum. The audio device is neither recognized by the computer nor by the audacity when I select the record button. Even if I try using the microphone input, it is not recognized.
I do not encounter any trouble in recording using the microphone jack in my laptop with windows 7 as OS with the same cassette player.
bkbiswas

Re: Can't record from cassette player

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:51 am

It is better to start a new topic than attach to someone else's topic, so I started this for you.
bkbiswas wrote:I am using windows vista.
I am trying to record through output from a cassette player using the blue input jack. I have gone through all the remedies suggested in this forum. The audio device is neither recognized by the computer nor by the audacity when I select the record button. Even if I try using the microphone input, it is not recognized.
I do not encounter any trouble in recording using the microphone jack in my laptop with windows 7 as OS with the same cassette player.

I suggest you try enabling the line-in in "Sound" in Windows if you have not already done so. it is better to say exactly what you have done so far, the more detail the better.

To enable line-in in Windows:

1. Make sure the line-in cable to the blue input fits tightly
  2. Right-click over the speaker icon in the System Tray > Recording Devices
  3. Right-click anywhere inside the Recording tab and choose "Show disabled devices" then right-click again and check "Show Disconnected Devices"
  4. Right-click specifically over the line-in, choose "Enable"
  5. Right-click once again over line-in, choose "Set as Default Device"
  6. Right-click once again over line-in, click Properties then the "Levels" tab and ensure the volume slider is turned up and unmuted
  7. Click OK
  8. Restart Audacity.

If line-in does not show in Windows, your audio drivers are probably incorrect. See here for help http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Updat ... ce_Drivers .

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Permanent link to this post Posted by bkbiswas » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:56 pm

Thank you Gale
The line-in is already showing in windows.
However, I have carried out all 8 of your instructions.
I am still getting the sane pop-up window after clicking the record button saying "Error while opening ... ...project sample rate.
Before posting my topic the recording started once only, never to start again. I have disconnected and re-connected the cable over and over again.
bkbiswas

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:02 am

bkbiswas wrote:I am still getting the sane pop-up window after clicking the record button saying "Error while opening ... ...project sample rate.

Please try all the steps here:
http://manual.audacityteam.org/o/man/fa ... und_device .

Make sure you are selecting line-in as the input device in Audacity's Device Toolbar .

Gale
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Re: unexpected error message

Permanent link to this post Posted by bkbiswas » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:19 am

Dear Gale
Thank you very much, but I am facing the same problem after going through all that the link suggested.
bkbiswas

Re: unexpected error message

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:08 am

Please help by replying in your own topic rather than attaching replies to other people's topics. I have moved your post back to this topic.
bkbiswas wrote:Thank you very much, but I am facing the same problem after going through all that the link suggested.

Does Windows sound recorder record?

Make sure line-in is default recording device in Windows Sound (step 5 here viewtopic.php?p=199967#p199967 ).

Click the Windows globe. Type "sound recorder" (without quotes) in the search box. Double-click sound recorder when it appears in the search results. Play a cassette and press the Record button. Save as a WMA file. Did you record anything?

Gale
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Permanent link to this post Posted by bkbiswas » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:06 am

Yes it is recording
bkbiswas

Permanent link to this post Posted by bkbiswas » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:23 pm

I have observed the following.
When I type "Sound Recording" in windows, it records from the cassette player.
When I try recording through Audacity from the same cassette player, I get the error window.
After closing Audacity NOW, if I try recording in windows, it does NOT record and I get information "An audio recording devise cannot be found"
Now, if I re-start the computer I can again record in windows.
bkbiswas

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:22 am

bkbiswas wrote:I have observed the following.
When I type "Sound Recording" in windows, it records from the cassette player.
When I try recording through Audacity from the same cassette player, I get the error window.

After establishing that Sound Recorder records the cassette player, try choosing "Microsoft Sound Mapper - Input" in Audacity's Device Toolbar.

bkbiswas wrote:After closing Audacity NOW, if I try recording in windows, it does NOT record and I get information "An audio recording devise cannot be found"
Now, if I re-start the computer I can again record in windows.

I think your computer audio is broken. What is the make and model number of the computer? Is it a branded computer like Dell, Lenovo or HP?

Gale
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Permanent link to this post Posted by bkbiswas » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:44 am

It is DEL XPS 430
bkbiswas

Next

Return to Windows