problem loading eq

i’ve been getting a message that says “not well-formed (invalid token) at line 1” whenever i try to use the eq. and it shuts down audacity. very frustrating. how can i solve this problem?

The project is broken in some way.
Which version of Audacity are you using?
Can you just redo the recording?

i’m using the newest version. but its this way for all my projects now. and it just started a few days ago.

i even tried a new project and it still isn’t right.

You can check the version number in “Help > About Audacity”.
Check that you have plenty of free disk space.
If that is not the problem, could you give step-by step instructions for how to reproduce the issue.

its 2.02
and what i do is open any audacity project and try the equalize effect. it says it can’t load the curve. and its only that effect. and it shuts down the program every time i try it. on my laptop it works fine and i have less disk space on that then i do on my home computer.

I would guess your EQCurves.xml file may be corrupt.

Find the “Audacity” folder for application data:
Windows 2000/XP: Documents and SettingsApplication DataAudacity
Windows Vista/Windows 7/Windows 8 UsersAppDataRoamingAudacity .

You may have to show hidden files and folders in order to find “Application Data”. See here How to see hidden files in Windows for how to show hidden files and folders. You will need to look at the instructions for whatever version of Windows you have. If you get stuck, please tell us your exact version of Windows (for example, Vista).

When you have found the “Audacity” folder, rename “EQCurves.xml” to something else so that Audacity doesn’t use it, for example “EQCurvesCorrupted.xml” (without quotes). To rename it, right-click over it and choose “Rename”. This might stop the crashes; it should revert Audacity to using the EQ curves it shipped with.

Whether it stops the crashes or not, can you attach the renamed curves file? Here is how to do that https://forum.audacityteam.org/t/how-to-attach-files-to-forum-posts/24026/1 . We can then look at the file and make sure it works correctly.

If Audacity now complains that it cannot find EQDefaultCurves.xml when you run Equalization, put the attached in the Audacity installation folder (or in the “Audacity” folder where EQCurves.xml was).

If you are still getting crashes after all the above steps, please let us know.

Gale
EQDefaultCurves.xml (4.23 KB)

thank you! it worked oh so beautifully.

Good :slight_smile:

Assuming the “EQCurves.xml” file was the problem, are you able to attach that? Audacity shouldn’t crash because of an error in the file, so if possible we’d like to fix it. See https://forum.audacityteam.org/t/how-to-attach-files-to-forum-posts/24026/1 for how to attach files.

PS (Added a little later) - no need to trouble to attach EQCurves.xml, unless it has custom curves you want to recover. I can reproduce the crash.

Gale