VST Plugin Folder

Hey all,
So I recently installed Audacity and I know it has compatibility with VST plugins, but none of mine show up. I realize that I don’t keep my plugins in the standard spot but rather one more convenient for me and my other software. However, this prevents Audacity from finding any of my plugs, and I really don’t want to have to copy them all to its location or have to reset locations in all my other software. How can I make Audacity read from my folder?

Note: I am prepared to edit the locations “HKCUSoftwareVSTVSTPluginsPath” and “HKLMSoftwareVSTVSTPluginsPath” in the registry if necessary, I just would like to know what goes there so I don’t screw it up.

Thanks!

Audacity is compatible with some VST plug-ins.
It is not compatible with VSTi (VST instruments).
Audacity is compatible with many but not all VST effects.
Audacity does not support real-time or MIDI features in plug-ins.
I don’t think that Audacity will work with VST plug-ins that require dongles.
Some VST “protection” mechanisms (anti-piracy) may cause Audacity to fail to launch.

If you have a lot of VST plug-ins then copying those that you want to use with Audacity to the Audacity plug-ins folder (a few at a time) would be the safest way to proceed.

Thanks, but that doesn’t really help… I’m aware of all of Audacity’s capabilities. What I need to know is how to edit the registry’s default VST folder. This way Audacity will be pointed to my current folder. I just need to know what to put in the key, syntax, etc. I’m trying to avoid copying all the plugins since I have like 200.

Sorry I don’t know how to do that but perhaps one of the Windows guys can help. What I was suggestion is that if you do manage to redirect Audacity to a folder with 200 VST plug-ins then there is a pretty good (bad) chance that one or more of them will stop Audacity from opening and then you will need to work out which one.

Nevermind. I screwed with the keys and got it working. I also separated instruments and effects to make life easier.

A bit late now, but it may be useful for other readers:

Audacity searches for VST plug-ins in this order:

On both Windows and OS X:

• Directories called “Plug-Ins”, “Plugins” or “VST” in the Audacity installation directory. On Windows, the Audacity installation directory is normally at C:Program FilesAudacity ( or C:Program FilesAudacity 1.3 Beta (Unicode) in legacy 1.3 versions ). On 64-bit Windows this directory will be “Program Files (x86)” then as appropriate. On OS X, the Audacity installation directory is normally under /Applications.
  • The path specified by the VST_PATH environment variable
  • Additionally on Windows, the following locations are also searched:
  • The Windows Registry key HKCUSoftwareVSTVSTPluginsPath
  • The Windows Registry key HKLMSoftwareVSTVSTPluginsPath
  • C:Program FilesSteinbergVSTPlugins

Additionally on OS X, the following locations are also searched:

• /Users//Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST
  • /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST

http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/VST_Plug-ins#Where_Audacity_looks_for_VST_plug-ins