Can't open tracks with right-click in 2.0.x

Hi there,

one awesome conveniency of 1.3.x that 2.0.x doesn’t seem to have (unless I’m doing something wrong) is that with 1.3, I can right-click an audio file (be it .mp3, .wav, .flac, whatever), and in the “open with” drop-down, I can select Audacity.exe, importing said audio track into a new Audacity 1.3 project doing that. If I try to do the same with the Audacity.exe of version 2.0, Windows will ignore that I selected Audacity.exe, disabling me from importing the right-clicked track into Audacity 2.0. (This problem persists independent of whether or not an older version of Audacity is installed on my PC simultaneously to 2.0.)

I use Windows 7 64-bit and install Audacity from the .exe installers. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I usually open audio tracks into Audacity with this method probably more than 50 % of the time. So far the solution is to just keep a copy of 1.3 on the PC for that purpose, as the differences between 1.3 and 2.0 aren’t annoyably vast.

Thanks in advance. :slight_smile:

• Shake

The simplest answer is often to rename the 2.0.x “audacity.exe” to something else such as “audacity 2.0.1.exe”, then you will be able to add it to Open with. But you will need to repeat that rename with each new Audacity release.

Or uninstall 1.3, download CCleaner ( http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download ) and run its registry cleaner.

Or create a custom “Edit with Audacity” context menu item instead of using Open with.

Gale

Hey awesome, that worked! Thanks! :slight_smile: