Screen Saver shut-down?

In my first recording session with Audacity I noticed that my system blacks out after 15 minutes with no user input. I then set my screen saver and system shut-downs to “never”, but still saw a black screen after 15 minutes.

When I opened my system back up it seems that I didn’t lose any data and everything was still up and running.

My questions:
How many system shut-down functions are present in Windows 7 in a Dell Latitude D630?

What is the best way to configure my system to avoid unwanted shut-downs?

I also use this notebook for PowerPoint lecturing and running a telescope, all of which require a continuously running system with no interruptions.

oldbear

How many system shut-down functions are present in Windows 7 in a Dell Latitude D630?
What is the best way to configure my system to avoid unwanted shut-downs?

I’d be reading my instructions or posting questions on line. Google/Bing is your friend.

Do you have any Audacity questions?

Koz

@Oldbear,
As Koz has pointed out this is not an Audacity problem. However, just to point you in the right direction, you need to turn off the screen-saver and look into the power management settings. There you will find values controlling when the hard-drive shuts down, when the monitor shuts down, when the PC goes to sleep, etc. Microsoft’s interpretation of a computer “doing work” is that somebody is tapping at the keyboard and/or wiggling the mouse. Getting it set for “unattended” requires effort.

Some laptops come with “Power Profile” settings. (Toshiba laptops do, I think that Dell may do also).
“Power Profiles” provide an easy way to set all of the power/sleep/screen brightness/… settings in a couple of clicks.
You want to play a DVD? - Select the “DVD” profile. You need maximum performance? - select “Max Performance”.

Check your computer documentation, or Google to see if there are Power Profile settings. If you log in with a limited account you may need to log-in as an Administrator to enable Power Profiles for all users.