24bit file selection output coming out as 16bit

Windows Home Premium 7
Audacity 2.0.0 (installed from .exe)

I suspect I already know the answer to this one, but …

I have a Korg MR-2 on order (for live recording, and ease of use in transcribing LPs from my LP12 etc). This will record at up to 24bit, 192kHz, and I will be experimenting with the higher bit/sample rates to assess whether it is worthwhile recording my LPs at high resolution (for playback via Naim NDX).

I have been using Audacity for several years to break LP recordings made on a standalone CD recorder (Denon) into tracks, and to add metadata. So as preparation for my “new toy”, I imported a commercial 24bit/192kHz recording into Audacity, selected part of it, and output it as FLAC (I also tried WAV). The output file is 192kHz, but it is only 16bit.

From my reading of topics on this forum, it would seem that Windows can’t cope with higher bit rates than 16bit. So is that the reason, or is there some setting in Audacity that I can alter to allow the output file to be 24bit?

Audacity on Windows can’t record at greater than 16-bit resolution.

Use the “Options” button when exporting FLAC to export 24-bit FLAC.

Use the “Options” button and choose “Other uncompressed files” to export as 24-bit WAV.

See http://manual.audacityteam.org/o/man/file_export_dialog.html .

Gale

Thanks. It may sound trite, but I figured this out for myself about an hour after my initial post! Amazing how often I solve a problem myself after asking for help. Can’t really understand how I missed it.
Sorry for bothering you.

John

Actually, that’s a well known psychophenomenon. I get called to put out brush fires all the time and I know that in a large percentage of the time, the problem will be gone when I get there and I have to reassure everybody that they’re not wasting my time.

When you experience a problem or some defect or shortcoming, your head focuses on the problem to the total exclusion of everything else. I suppose it’s one of our primordial survival skills.

When you call me, your head goes: “I called Koz and he’s on his way over. Everything is going to be OK.” Your stress level goes down, your focus opens up and you notice that the reason your equipment failed is somebody kicked the plug out of the wall. Problem solved. For one real-world example: walking up to a computer video system and noticing that the screens are black and unresponsive could mean a massive failure where the system is lying in smoldering ruin, or it could also mean the person before you left the black at the end of the last movie paused.

That’s also a good troubleshooting concept. Don’t get sucked into the problem. The minute your attention is captured by the condition, you’re dead.

I also tell people, “You have to call me to get the effect. There’s no way to shortcut it.”

Koz