New here! Help!

Hi Everybody!! :smiley: I just plain need help. I know how to record, pause, etc. But I cant figure out how pitching things works. And why if I do a second recording underneath the original, the original sounds all cheesy. My Mic. sucks, so how do I make it sound more HD? It’s complicated and confusing…

PLEASE HELP!!

~Emily

I cant figure out how pitching things works.

Select the music or just select the track and you’ll get the whole thing. Effect > Change Pitch. That’s it. The music will pitch up or down the amount you selected. As I get the tone of these questions, no you can’t start out a woman and make yourself into a man, or give yourself a low, rumbly, announcer, Barry White voice. The very best you can do is one or two note shift before it starts to sound weird.

why if I do a second recording underneath the original, the original sounds all cheesy.

Probably because you’re recording Stereo-Mix instead of just the microphone or mixer. You get the original track twice and if there is the slightest timing offset, it will destroy the music.

http://manual.audacityteam.org/help/manual/man/tutorial_recording_multi_track_overdubs.html

My Mic. sucks, so how do I make it sound more HD? It’s complicated and confusing…

Probably not complicated. It’s difficult or impossible to recover from a bad microphone. Once the sound goes down ratty, you could spend weeks with the sound tools and then give up and shoot it again with a better mic. The mic and the room are super important. You can actually put up with just an OK microphone if you do it in a quiet, echo-free room. I’ve shot scratch voice tracks for television commercials on my built-in, laptop microphone. Most built-ins are too ratty and noisy for that, but still. If you start out with a noisy room, you’re dead before you boot the computer.

Want to post some of your microphone work? It’s possible you’re doing something wrong we can fix right away and save you a lot of grief.

https://forum.audacityteam.org/t/how-to-attach-files-to-forum-posts/24026/1

Koz