Recording Skype Convos on my podacst with Audacity 2.0

I’ve been looking for this answer, and it seems that the answer is no… But wanted to make sure.
I record a podcast every week and I’d like to take calls. I have a mixer hooked up with USB to my computer. I did a test with Skype and recorded in audacity 2.0 on Windows 7. It recorded me, but not the person I called. Is there any settings or anything I can do to make this work? Otherwise I’m going to be holding my iPhone up to my mic with speakerphone on. Hahah… Can this be done?

Thanks!
B

I’m going to be holding my iPhone up to my mic with speakerphone on. Hahah… Can this be done?

Can you hold your iPhone up? Yes. That’s probably the most reliable way to deal with Skype or live connection short of special software. Skype likes to take over the sound services of your computer (it’s one of the reasons it’s so successful), and if you mess with the settings to record both sides, then the actual, live conversation falls apart. Have you ever made a conference call where your own voice comes back to your headphones a second late? It’s not fun and it makes a sucky interview.

Are you streaming? If so, then I have no good way to deal with this short of two computers and a mixer which works famously. If you’re doing the podcast in post production, then you can use Pamela Professional or Pamela Business (not the other two) or Total Recorder. Collect the voice tracks and layer them into the podcast with the intros, music, stingers, outtros, etc.

Koz

Interesting… I actually stream live and it’s video too. I use XSplit to help with the live streaming and I noticed that after the podcast the voice of the other person WAS recorded on Xsplit. Why would that software allow multiple sources?