Audacity suddenly will not recognize line-in

Here’s my setup: Windows Vista - .exe installer - 2.x - almost 700 GB available - Technics 1200 into phono pre-amp (brings to line level) then out form RCA patch cables to 3.5 mm into PC’s line-in (blue hole).

Pre-amp delivers line level signal to separate set of powered speakers and RCA-3.5mm cable is also working properly.

Originally I had the same problem, Audacity would not recognize my machine’s line-in. After searching this forum for solutions, I found I needed to switch from microphone and un-mute the line-in from the control panel. This fixed EVERYTHING and I was finally able to record and playback several records until Audacity stopped getting the signal from my turntable One minute I was finishing up a record side and playing back the quality recording; the next minute, with a fresh record under my new stylus, Audacity decided to stop working. No response in the level meter even though monitoring is on and nothing else has changed within my working system besides the vinyl.

I am hoping for a simple solution hiding in plain sight.

If this issue sounds familiar or you can see what I can’t, any help is welcome!

What’s the preamp? Model numbers?
Can you still hear the music through the speakers?

One minute I was finishing up a record side and playing back the quality recording; the next minute, with a fresh record under my new stylus, Audacity decided to stop working. No response in the level meter even though monitoring is on and nothing else has changed within my working system besides the vinyl.

When you stopped playing the first capture music, did you press Stop? You exported the first capture as MP3 or (hopefully) WAV, and then you pressed Record again and nothing happened? Did you get Audacity timeline crawling left to right, but just flat – no blue waves?

Koz

just to try EVERYTHING i started switching between mic and line-in repeatedly enabling and disabling each one in my control panel.Once I left the control panel with line-in enabled (again) I was happy to find Audacity somehow working perfectly, like nothing happened. Issue resolved…for now at least.

I must have tried to use Audacity while it was on its lunch break.