Freecorder 3.0

Has anyone experienced this problem?

I’ve been trying to get access to Stereo Mix.

My older PC works perfectly, but this new DELL XPS8300 with SoundBlaster XFi doesn’t seem to want me let use Stereo Mix. (I’m using Windows7, with 16Gb memory and ITb HDD)
I’ve been reading the advice on the Recording Computer Playback on Windows page - on the Audacity FAQ page - and it suggests Freecorder 3.0 as an alternative or work-around.
I’ve tried several other tips on the Audacity FAQ page but none have worked so far.

My problem: I tried to download Freecorder 3.0 but got diverted to other freeware and adware programs I didn’t ask for. Where did they come from?
Worse: when I finally got my Freecorder download I unpacked it and it said Welcome to Freecorder 4.0! - which as I expect you know, is a different beast!

Could anyone tell me how to obtain a straightforward download of Freecorder 3.0? I tried a year ago, and kept getting into a rat run with the Freecorder replacement which, dare I say it, is not so user friendly.

Russell

If you’re using Windows, have a go with SoundLeech.
It is (currently) free and without the nasty habits of Freecoder (hopefully it will stay that way :slight_smile:)
http://www.milosoftware.com/en/index.php?body=soundleech.php

Thank you, Steve

I have downloaded SoundLeech and after a bit of faffing about I got it to do some recordings.
Although I’m quite experienced on some aspects of Windows I’ve always found Sound a challenge. There’s no doubt in my mind Audacity is the best place to come to get practical advice.

I’m going to try and crack the SoundBlaster XFi problem next. It does seem that every time MS thinks up something new, they disturb a lot of tried and tested ways of getting things done.

Ta.

Russell

Ain’t it true :wink:
Do let us know how you get on with the XFi problem. It’s quite a common device so any information that you can provide is likely to be useful for others.

Will do.

I dread trying to find out anything on the Creative andor the Dell websites but they’ve got to be next.

Russell

There’s free software and there’s free software, and not all of it is either as benign or as useful and effective as Audacity. After several bad experiences trying to download and install software for recording streaming input over the internet (BBC internet radio in my case) I came across NCH SoundTap, which is not free but costs very little (usual disclaimer). In terms of its user interface it is a very simple (Windows, not browser) application designed (among rather few other things) for recording streaming input. Its USP in this area is that it installs a special driver that intercepts the input before Windows has had a chance to mangle it, and the application simply dumps it into a .WAV file which can then be further processed if desired with your favourite audio editor, namely Audacity! Within the UK, BBC Radio 3 now offers a stream that they call “HD Sound”. This is not HD Audio in the 24/96 sense, simply the use of an AAC stream at 320kb/s and 44.1kHz sampling rate, but when recorded with SoundTap it provides near-CD quality.