USB Device Not Recognized

Help for all users of Audacity 2.x on Windows.

This forum is for Audacity 2.x on Windows.

Please state which version of Windows you are using, the exact three-section version of Audacity from Help > About Audacity and whether you obtained the .exe installer or the zip.

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade here. The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

USB Device Not Recognized

Permanent link to this post Posted by JAB » Thu May 24, 2012 10:33 pm

I have an ezcap USB Cassette Capture device, which I am trying to get to work on a Dell Inspiron with XP. The device is not recognised and therefore I can not set it up in the preferences section of the audacity software
JAB

Re: USB Device Not Recognized

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Thu May 24, 2012 10:42 pm

Can Windows see it?

Start > Control Panels > Sounds and Devices > Hardware.

If the device isn't there, then nobody can see it. Audacity depends on Windows services working.

Try another USB connection or maybe another cable. Unplug and replug several times. Does the computer "bong" when you plug it in?

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by JAB » Fri May 25, 2012 8:45 am

It is listed in the device window, but as an unrecognized device. Plugging in and out doesn't resolve the issue
JAB

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Fri May 25, 2012 3:07 pm

Did the player come with an install CD? Did you buy it new? I can't believe anything as simple as a cassette player is not recognized, but there it is. You might be able to go on-line and get device drivers for your computer so Windows knows that it is. Until Windows knows what's going on, Audacity is helpless.

Do you keep your Windows up to date? If you never update Windows, the software may be so old that the computer doesn't recognize modern equipment.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Return to Windows