Can't get sound back

I am new to Audacity and have a lot to learn. I was following the directions and not sure what I did but I need to get my sound to come through the computer speakers again. What do I do? Also can I have the sound coming through the computer speakers when I record? How do I do that.

In reverse order:
Audacity > Edit > Preferences > Recording > [X] Playthrough (select) > OK.

Don’t forget you did that because it can get you into trouble if you ever decide to record a live microphone, you can get feedback effects. …eeeeeEEEEEEEEEE. Always do live production in headphones. That setting should play your work back to you a little late.

If you plug in a USB Sound Dervice (like a Turntable), Windows will sometimes accept music from the turntable, but then try to play music back to the turntable instead of the speakers. You should go into the Windows Control Panels and tell the computer to play to the speakers again. You can also tell Audacity to do that in the Audacity Device Toolbar.

http://manual.audacityteam.org/help/manual/man/device_toolbar.html

Koz

How will I know if my computer reconizes the cassette player when I plug it in? The computer made a sound but the player is not listed in devices and printers. I guess I have to have installation software for something to show up in devices.

You’ve not said, but is this a USB cassette player?

If it is, the device will appear as a Recording device in the Window Sounds control panel (see here: Missing features - Audacity Support )