Turntable Help

Hi,

I have gotten myself a nice USB turntable, but … and it works great when hooked up to the Stereo System.

It does not work great when it is hooked up to the USB. I can not hear anything when it is hooked up to the USB and thought I would ask about it. It would seen that it should play it normally as if it were anything else … but can not locate the proper settings for anything to make this work at all. I can certainly hear the Windows Sounds, so that means that the sound card on the motherboard is picking things up from Windows, but not from the USB port.

Computer settings:
Nforce 6M-A V2.0
AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual 3.01 Ghz
Radeon HD4650 1G (463-267 VCBenchmark Rating)
DDR2 PC6400 x4 = 4Gig
The motherboard states IDT Audio 1

Please advise.

IF, I am recording something, I can play it through in Audacity, however, this is a problem … when do you start if you can not hear it? Does that mean that I have to record things with all that blank space in the front and then clean it up?

And thanks in advance.

I was really hoping that I could just play things directly via the computer … but I’m not upset that I can blast out my EMT-Heil Speakers … hehehe … and thanks a big bunch for the assist.

Have a look at this tutorial from the manual: http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/Recording_with_USB_turntables

It’s part of this set of tutorials: http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/Tutorial_-_Copying_tapes,_LPs_or_minidiscs_to_CD

If you still can’t get it working after working through that, then please post back and let us know where it didn’t work.

WC

Hi,

Well after spending over an hour on this and reinstalling Audacity just to figure out what was going on … the Windows Sounds had stopped.

The issue appears to be the IDT software that is not accepting the settings and does not appear to like a flow through of the sounds from the turntable directly, and this maybe because it is XP-Pro and not a newer update of Windows that I am already looking at.

After a session with the turntable with Audacity, I basically have to reset the IDT Audio back to the IDT regular settings or it will leave me locked out of the Windows Sounds.

I can play through while recording and hear it fine on the speakers … but not without the recording function running.

It’s a bit of a bummer, as it makes it harder to tell where the issue is, but I imagine that this is a Windows Software issue with IDT (version 115 it says) and it’s design compatibility with USB 10 years ago.

Hope this helps, but I’m back to square one on this … and right now the turntable thing is rather depressing … I can’t even get Audacity to add a mark between songs! You would figure the software would know that it is a new track with the silence and it all being digital and it being able to tell when a song starts and ends! Maybe I am asking for too much.

Thanks a bunch

Thanks a great bunch

You can “monitor” before and without recording by clicking in the Recording meter - see this page in the manual: Index of /man

WC