cannot start audacity[SOLVED]

I have just (20120415) reformatted my HPCompaqnx6325 to its original specification with the disks I created when I received it. I had added some memory as per the sellers instructions.
When originally I used a previous version of audacity it worked fine and I have often used it to edit my recordings - usually simple voice recordings.
The system is Windows XP professional with SP3. Though audacity appears to load correctly, using the icon created on desktop returns the message - Heading “C:Program FilesAudacityaudacity.exe” and the message " C:Program FilesAudacityaudacity.exe - next line - This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem" - I used the .exe installer to instal it
I have reinstalled the program after uninstalling it and the same message recurs!
Where do I go from here?
Many thanks for your help.
All good wishes.

The problem is with “Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package”

Assuming that you are on a 32 bit machine:
Download it from here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=A5C84275-3B97-4AB7-A40D-3802B2AF5FC2&displaylang=en
Double-click on the downloaded “C:vcredist_x86.exe” file to run it and follow the instructions.
If you are asked whether you want to uninstall or repair, choose “Repair”.

Brilliant Steve - its up and running - many thanks for your speedy response.