MP3 Multi-Track Files?

Is there such a thing as a multiple track MP3? In other words, in the same manner as a CD may have multiple tracks, can an MP3 FILE contain multiple tracks? My desire is to create an MP3 file which will allow a listener to skip forward or back to the next/previous track. So far my reading indicates that this is not possible, that an MP3 file is essentially one ‘track’.

This would mean that the LABELS feature in Audacity 2.0 is limited to two broad uses… 1) for creating multiple MP3 files from one or more tracks (tracks in this context meaning channels of sound as used in the Audacity user interface); and 2) for a visual aid to the user of Audicity, as a mechanism for locating points or regions of the content of a project.

Rob

You can certainly create a multi-song MP3, you just can’t select each song ad. lib. MP3 is a video format. It’s real Driver’s License name is MPEG-1 Layer 3. One of the early compressed video formats.

1. Multiple Sound files. Doesn’t have to be MP3. We discourage MP3 for most uses short of offloading music to your Personal Music Player. MP3 is a delivery format. End of the road.

2. Yes. That’s correct.

Koz

Thank you, koz, for the reply. I do follow your distinctions between my use use of “mp3” and your use of “sound files”.