How to eliminate applause.. Pls help..

Hello,

I just wanted to ask if there is a way to edit out the applause at the beginning and end of a song… The song is an mp3 of a live recording …I don’t want to just cut out the beginning and end… Is it possible to do it (with good results)??

System: Windows 7 64-bit with Audacity 2.x, from .exe installer

Thanks,

Maria

yes, just select the bits you don’t want by clicking and dragging and press the Delete key or Ctrl+K

And you wiillprobaly want to put a small fade-in at the beginning and a fade-out at the end - just select a small amount of audio and use Effect >Fade In / Out

WC

Wow this was fast! Thanks!!

The music starts during the applause (stupid audience!!), will that mean that the intro of the song will be removed as well?

Yup, it’s a compromise - and a value judgement / trade-off deciding how much “music” you lose. :slight_smile:

Just make sure you keep the original and don’t overwrite it in case you want to re-edit later :exclamation:

WC

BTW normal practice is to make the fade-ins short and the fade-outs longer - experiment …

WC

will do… Thanks!

PS: I have no idea what you are talking about… can you tell?? :slight_smile:
But I will experiment!

Thanks so much…

If it was a live show there will probably be some “audience noise” in the middle of the recording too. That you will not be able to remove successfully. So I would suggest leaving a short amount of applause in place to convey the “live” atmosphere. Or are you saying that the audience applause drowns out the music at the start and end?

No, thank God they shut up during the song… :slight_smile: Just at the beginning and the end. And they are loud…

I did as you said (cut parts of the intro and ending where it was just people clapping) and did fade in and fade out respectively and it came out way better than I thought… Thank you… I had to do a lot of fade out though to get it to sound good but I think it’s ok…

Thank you…

Geez anyone can be a sound editor these days :slight_smile:

Yebbut, the more you practice the better you’ll get … :smiley:

Glad you got it sorted,

WC