Unusual click

I have an unusual click at irregular intervals after I capture audio and play it back. It is not heard during original capture from the cassette tape. I think I know what causes it: When I was capturing, and whenever the speaker paused briefly, the moving bar would pause the recording so as to not record the brief silence. I tried click removal with both high and low settings [I don’t know what sensitive means in this context] and the clicks aren’t removed.

Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

You can get rid of that pause at silences in Audacity > Preferences > Recording > [ ] Sound Activated Recording (deselect). You will get a pop or click at every pause if the recorder has DC or battery voltage on it. You will not get a clean switch. You didn’t say how you were getting between analog cassette tape and digital bitstream, but that’s where the problem usually lies.
Koz

Thank you, that was the answer…

but is there a way to convert my resultant .WAV file to a smaller size.
I already hacked it down to 79 minutes but the size is 799 MB.
My blank disks will only handle 700MB. Is there another format that
will play on any CD player?

AHH!!! I JUST FOUND SOME 800MB BLANK CDs ON eBAY. THEY DON’T HAVE THEM AT FRY’S YET!!!

If you are simply trying to shave a few seconds (KBs) off your recording, you could try Effect…Change Tempo. It will show you how long your item is (in seconds). You then key in your desired length in the input field. It will then show that change as a percentage. I have found that a change in the range +/- 5% is usually acceptable to the ear. Might be worth playing with this, if only to add the tool to your toolkit for future use.