Ampkit Link

Will the Ampkit Link…
http://www.peavey.com/products/software/ampkitlink/
work into the soundcard of a PC/Laptop usinp the headphone jack on my iPhone/iPad?
I can connect everything and get sound from recordings I’ve done… but no signal from the guitar comes out of Audacity?
My question is… am I wasting time trying to connect my iPhone/iPad to my PC/Laptop and expecting the PC/Laptop to recognize the program? :confused:

The headphone-out from your iPhone to the mic-in on your laptop should “work”, but the mic input is usually too sensitive for a headphone-level signal and you might get distortion. A headphone-out to line-in on a desktop computer is a better match.

The headphone-out on the Peavy gizmo should work the same way.

I can connect everything and get sound from recordings I’ve done… but no signal from the guitar comes out of Audacity?

You’re getting sound from where? From the computer, or from the iPhone? Are these “recordings” on your iPhone, or on your computer?

What are you really trying to do? Do you want to record on your iPhone, or the computer?

You obviously don’t need Audacity to play a sound on your computer. And, you don’t need any special software to hear the sound coming into the computer’s mic input (out of the laptop speakers, or the laptop’s headphone-out). You just need to configure the Windows audio control panel properly.

There are a couple of other options, depending on what you are trying to do… I assume you can record to your iPhone with the peavy gizmo… Then you should be able to transfer the audio file to your computer digitally via USB. The headphone-out from your iPhone to the mic-in on your laptop should “work”, but the mic input is usually too sensitive for a headphone-level signal and you might get distortion. A headphone-out to line-in on a desktop computer is a better match.

You’re getting sound from where? From the computer, or from the iPhone? Are these "recordings’ on yoru iPhone, or on your computer?

You obviously don’t need Audacity to play a sound on your computer, or to hear the sound coming into the computer’s mic input (out of the laptop speakers, or the laptop’s headphone-out).

There are a couple of other options, depending on what you are trying to do… I assume you can record to your iPhone with the peavy gizmo… Then you should be able to transfer the audio file to your computer digitally via USB. Then, you can use Audacity for editing, if you wish. If you don’t want to edit, you may not need Audacity.

You can also get Guitar-USB interfaces, so you can record the guitar directly on the computer (with Audacity or other recording software), if you’d rather do that than use the iPhone. Peavy probably makes one, and Behringer makes an inexpensive one.

I’m still foggy on what you want. The Amplink has a special plug to pick up the extra contacts and gold rings inside an iPhone. You can’t put that into a straight PC soundcard.

You should be able to jack an iPhone/iPad/Touch into your PC stereo connection and play shows into Audacity. The stereo connection tends to be missing on PC Laptops. We recommend one of these…

http://kozco.com/tech/audacity/pix/UCA202.jpg

That’s a UCA-202 adapting a stereo show from a cassette machine into a computer without stereo inputs. You can’t use the laptop Mic-In for any of this.

What you can do is use adapters to get your guitar into the UCA-202. That does work. It’s slightly quiet, but it will allow you to play guitar and do overdubbing inside Audacity. Is that what the question is? Can i do overdubbing with the Amplink in Audacity? No.

Koz

Koz DVDoug,
I figured it out! I can get playback and record… Now I’m trying get my latency in line :confused: It’s about a .25 delay… I’m in the preferences, record section… I just don’t understand what to adjust (more or negative or is it a mix) :question: