Unable to hear music or record through USB input.

I have a Toshiba laptop running windows 7. 2.10 GHz processor 3GB Ram. I have downloaded and installed Audacity V 2.0.
I KNOW I am getting a signal from my turntable and preamplifier through the cords to the microphone input as I have sample recorded this way. Of course this is not in stereo as it is only a mono input. I wish to record in stereo.I have purchased an Encore ENMVG-2 Audio/Video grabber to be able to record through a USB input.
I have installed the driver from the supplied CD. I have checked the device manager and the device is working properly.
I can not get a signal through to Audacity and I have checked the configuration several times in the preferences tab.
Any suggestions or help would be fabulous ……………please.
Thank You

RandyJ

It may not be possible for Audacity to record from the Encore ENMVG-2. It all depends on whether Windows treats the device as an audio device + a video device, or just as a video device (with “embedded” audio).
With the device connected to the computer, go to System Tray > Recording Devices.
Right-click anywhere inside the Recording tab and choose “Show disabled devices” then right-click again and check “Show Disconnected Devices”

Is the Encore ENMVG-2 listed as a recording device?
If it is, then is it enabled?
If it is not listed then Audacity will not be able to use it.

Thank you very much for your help. It is enabled but it is not listed. As you say, it may only be for embedded audio.
I would think this item needs only the driver to work but the “tech support girl” says I need to install the application for the item to work.
Certainly not to condescend her but she did not sound too sure of herself. I beleieve the item only needs a driver to work but I am certainly no professional.
I think a different item would be advisable.
Thanks again for your help.
Randy