Upgrading to 2.0

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.

  • Please state which version of Windows you are using, the exact three-section version of Audacity from "Help menu > About Audacity".

  • Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
    The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

Upgrading to 2.0

Permanent link to this post Posted by folmonty » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:35 pm

I'm a new convert from using DAK and really like Audacity. My hats off to the development team for such a flexible and functional audio tool as this! A simple question I couldn't find in the FAQ or user manual.

Already have Beta version 1.3 with LAME installed. Before upgrading to 2.0 is it necessary to uninstall previous versions? Does LAME need to be reinstalled also? I'm running 64bit Win7.

Thanks very much!

Monty
folmonty
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:25 pm
Operating System: Please select

Re: Upgrading to 2.0

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:46 pm

It's probably best to uninstall Audacity 1.3.x beta first so as to avoid complications with file associations.
If you have a reasonably recent version of Lame that works with Audacity 1.3.x then Audacity 2.0 should pick it up automatically (so leave LAME installed and when you have installed Audacity 2.0 check that MP3 export works OK).
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 45364
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:43 am
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Re: Upgrading to 2.0

Permanent link to this post Posted by PGA » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:06 pm

I have successfully installed v2.0 alongside v1.3.14 without any problems. As far as I recall, the file associations moved over to v2.0 automatically. I have discovered that, if I really want to, I can switch them to and fro using a right-click on an .aup file then choosing "Open With... Choose default program...". This is on a Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1 system. I didn't need to re-install either LAME or FFmpeg - these were picked up automatically by v2.0.
PGA
 
Posts: 693
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:16 pm
Operating System: Please select

Re: Upgrading to 2.0

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:20 pm

PGA wrote:As far as I recall, the file associations moved over to v2.0 automatically.

I think that is what should happen but Windows can misbehave and get confused, so uninstalling 1.3.x first is the safer option.

PGA wrote: I didn't need to re-install either LAME or FFmpeg - these were picked up automatically by v2.0.

That seems to work reliably :)
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 45364
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:43 am
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Re: Upgrading to 2.0

Permanent link to this post Posted by folmonty » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:53 pm

Uninstalled the old and installed the new without any trouble. Updated to LAME 3.99.3 from 3.98.3 and added the plug-in file as well. Talk about effects choices! Works like a charm.

Great work! Using Audacity is truly a joy in function and flexibility.
Thanks again!
Monty
Danville, CA
folmonty
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:25 pm
Operating System: Please select

Re: Upgrading to 2.0

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:52 am

steve wrote:It's probably best to uninstall Audacity 1.3.x beta first so as to avoid complications with file associations.

If there are existing Audacity 1.3.x associations with audio files, associations for 2.0 won't be creatable with "Open with" whether you uninstall 1.3.x or leave it in situ unless you:

  • run CCleaner to remove the old association
  • rename the 2.0.0 audacity.exe.

See viewtopic.php?f=46&t=64286&start=10#p174205 .


Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance
 
Posts: 26089
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:02 am
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Upgrading to 2.0

Permanent link to this post Posted by PGA » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:04 am

Gale Andrews wrote:
steve wrote:It's probably best to uninstall Audacity 1.3.x beta first so as to avoid complications with file associations.

If there are existing Audacity 1.3.x associations with audio files, associations for 2.0 won't be creatable with "Open with" whether you uninstall 1.3.x or leave it in situ unless you:

  • run CCleaner to remove the old association
  • rename the 2.0.0 audacity.exe.

See viewtopic.php?f=46&t=64286&start=10#p174205 .


Gale

@Gale,
That's not true as my posts in that topic make clear. I have both v2.0 and v1.3.14 installed alongside each other and can use "Open with" to change the file association from one to the other as and when I choose (not that I actually want to). Like the original poster, I'm also on a Win 7 64-bit system so would be interested to hear whether this is true on his/her system.
PGA
 
Posts: 693
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:16 pm
Operating System: Please select

Re: Upgrading to 2.0

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:08 am

PGA wrote:@Gale,
That's not true as my posts in that topic make clear. I have both v2.0 and v1.3.14 installed alongside each other and can use "Open with" to change the file association from one to the other as and when I choose (not that I actually want to). Like the original poster, I'm also on a Win 7 64-bit system so would be interested to hear whether this is true on his/her system.

It's true for most people - it's getting complained about frequently now 2.0.0 is out. I'm aware it works for you - but since no-one knows why, we can't give them your solution. :)


Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance
 
Posts: 26089
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:02 am
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Upgrading to 2.0

Permanent link to this post Posted by PGA » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:09 am

Gale Andrews wrote:I'm aware it works for you - but since no-one knows why, we can't give them your solution.

If it will increase understanding, I'd be happy to take screen grabs of parts of my Registry - if someone could tell me which bits to grab :D
PGA
 
Posts: 693
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:16 pm
Operating System: Please select

Re: Upgrading to 2.0

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:53 am

@PGA, did you ever have Audacity 1.2.x installed on that machine?
Could you remind me which version of Windows you use.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 45364
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:43 am
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Next

Return to Windows



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 17 guests