Understanding Find Clipping result?

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.

• Please state which version of Windows you are using, the exact three-section version of Audacity from "Help menu > About Audacity".

• Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
    The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

Understanding Find Clipping result?

Permanent link to this post Posted by pato » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:47 pm

[Question also posted in Facebook Audacity Voiceover Users group; no response yet.]

I need help understanding results of the Analyze > Find Clipping procedure applied to an existing audio track. The procedure yields a Clipping track showing where (if at all) clipping occurred in the audio track. Here is a sample: In this Clipping track at the point where clipping was detected, what do "1 of 1", "6 of 6", "28 of 28" etc. mean? Thanks.

Clipping example.png
Clipping example.png (23.61 KiB) Viewed 119 times
Last edited by steve on Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Put image inline to preserve board layout
pato

Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Understanding Find Clipping result?

Permanent link to this post Posted by pato » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:51 pm

BTW: I use Audacity v2.1.3 on Windows 10.
pato

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by Trebor » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:46 pm

pato wrote: what do "1 of 1", "6 of 6", "28 of 28" etc. mean?

See ... http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/find_clipping.html
Trebor

Operating System: Windows Vista

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:12 pm

I suspect you have 28 overload points and the software is trying to label every one of them. Drag-select that little chunk and Control-E Zoom into it. I expect it to expand into billions of overloads.

The bad news is you usually can't recover from something like that. If it overloaded before Audacity got to it, that's the end of the world.

You're recording massively too loud. You should be recording with your peaks between -6dB and -10dB peaks on the meter and timeline about 50% or so. I would change back to the Waveform timeline because it's a lot easier to see problems like this.

Also, you're set for sample rate of 22500 (on the left) which is a sound quality slightly better than AM radio.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Return to Windows