Newbie asking for a kickstart, please!

Using Nyquist scripts in Audacity.
Post and download new plug-ins.

If you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like

Re: Newbie asking for a kickstart, please!

Permanent link to this post Posted by shakeshuck » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:15 pm

I've just been getting an explanation from another forum too!

I thought that 1 bit per sample meant the value of the wave would increase 1 step up the 'ladder' per sample of bitrate, which would slow down any transients dramatically. It was pointed out to me it doesn't work that way, but a '1' value can move more than one step up (in bit depth terms) at a time.

I obviously need to read some more...
shakeshuck

Operating System: Windows 7

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:12 am

shakeshuck wrote:I thought that 1 bit per sample meant the value of the wave would increase 1 step up the 'ladder' per sample of bitrate

That is almost what PCM does.

For simplicity, if we imagine 3 bit unsigned audio data, and we think of the analogue output as "voltage" (which ultimately it is), then 000 represents the lowest voltage, and 111 represents the highest voltage. The 'ladder' is: 000, 001, 010, 011, 100, 101, 110, 111, and we could say that an increase of "one" (that's an increase of 001) represents one step of the ladder. In this example, where we have 3-bit samples, the 'ladder' has 8 rungs. However, when converting from digital data to analogue, we don't actually increase the voltage in steps. The rate at which the voltage rises from one level to the next is limited by a low pass 'reconstruction' filter so that the rate of change is never more than half the sample rate.

For DSD, and leaving aside "wide DSD", we don't have "samples" in the conventional sense, we just have a stream of 0s and 1s. When a 1 is encountered by the DAC, the output voltage rises, and conversely when a 0 is encountered, the output voltage falls. As with converting PCM to analogue, the rate of change is limited by a low pass filter. A "1" in the stream tells the DAC to increase the output voltage, but not by how much. If the next, and the next, and the next bits are all ones, then the output voltage will continue to rise up to the upper "rail" voltage, and the rate of change is governed by the filter.

Another way of looking at DSD is in purely mechanical terms. If we have a 'black box' with a DSD input at one end and a speaker cone at the other, then each "1" represents a little push on the speaker cone, and a "0" is "not a push". The low pass filter removes the jerkiness of individual pushes so that the speaker moves smoothly at frequencies within the audio range.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Permanent link to this post Posted by shakeshuck » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:07 pm

Thanks for that, Steve. There are things you mention that I hadn't picked up on from reading the general blurb available.

I need to read the PDM stuff more carefully. I don't get why the middle of a group of 1's would be used as a peak, instead of at the end (where the 'real' peak would be). No doubt there's a mathematical reason.
shakeshuck

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:12 pm

shakeshuck wrote:I don't get why the middle of a group of 1's would be used as a peak

Who said that?
steve
Site Admin

Permanent link to this post Posted by shakeshuck » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:50 pm

In the picture you provide of PDM, and your quote: "The red line represents the analogue waveform, that is "high" when the density of "ones" is greatest, and "low" when the density of "ones" is least".

The high is shown as being at the centre of the high density area, not at the end of the high density area as I would have expected?
shakeshuck

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:10 pm

shakeshuck wrote:The high is shown as being at the centre of the high density area, not at the end of the high density area as I would have expected?

OK, I see what you mean, but you're drawing a rather more strict interpretation of the illustration than I intended. In reality it is a bit more complex, not least because of the low-pass filtering that I mentioned. The low-pass filter, in effect, averages the influence of the individual "bits". What the illustration shows is that the amplitude of the analogue waveform is higher when the density of "on bits" is high. Due to filter delays and other factors, the DAC will not output high voltage at that exact moment, but some time later.

A more accurate representation would be to have the blue and white "bit stream" on the left going into the 'black box' and the red analogue waveform coming out of the black box (the colours are arbitrary).
steve
Site Admin

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:00 pm

I don't know if this will help, but here's a simple bit-stream to PCM converter implemented in Nyquist.
You enter the bit-stream as text, for example:
Code: Select all
0101010101010101010101010101010101010101110110110110111011101110111011011011011010101010010010001000100001000010001000100100100100101010101101101101101110111010101010101010101010101010

and the plug-in converts that into a PCM waveform.

Here's the code:
Code: Select all
;version 4
;control bitstring "Bit Stream (1=on, 0=off)" string "" "0001010111"
;control lp "Low pass filter coefficient" float-text "0 < coefficient < 1" 0.9 0 1
;control oversample "Over sampling" int-text "" 4 1 256

;; Output will be written into an array, then converted to a sound
(setf output (make-array (length bitstring)))

;; Low-pass filter
;; a0 = 1 - lp
;; b1 = lp
;; y[n] = a0*x[n] + b1y[n-1]
(setf a0 (- 1 lp))
(setf b1 lp)
(setf yn-1 0.5)

(defun lowpass (xn)
  "Single pole low-pass filter"
  (let ((yn (+ (* a0 xn)(* b1 yn-1))))
    (setf yn-1 yn)
    ;Normalize to +/- 1.0
    (- (* 2 yn) 1)))

;; Test low-pass filter:
;(setf ar (snd-fetch-array *track* (truncate len)(truncate len)))
;(dotimes (i (length ar)(snd-from-array 0 44100 ar))
;  (setf (aref ar i)(lowpass (aref ar i))))

(defun dsd2pcm ()
  (let ((bitstream (make-string-input-stream bitstring)))
    (do ((ch (read-char bitstream)(read-char bitstream))
         (i 0 (1+ i)))
        ;loop until we run out of characters, then return the (oversampled) sound
        ((not ch)(snd-from-array 0 (* oversample *sound-srate*) output))
      (case ch
        (#\0 (setf (aref output i) (lowpass 0)))
        (#\1 (setf (aref output i) (lowpass 1)))
        (#\space (throw 'err (format nil "Error.~%~
                              Do not use spaces in Bit Stream.")))
        (t (throw 'err (format nil "Invalid character \"~a\".~%~
                        Bit Stream can be 1\'s and 0\'s only." ch)))))))

(catch 'err (resample (dsd2pcm) *sound-srate*))
steve
Site Admin

Permanent link to this post Posted by shakeshuck » Thu May 18, 2017 3:12 pm

Just a thank you Steve, for the last post.
I've been sidetracked and not taken a close look at it yet.
shakeshuck

Previous

Return to Nyquist